Tailor my pants? Or buy new pants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailor my pants? Or buy new pants?

I have around 10 dress pants that I used to wear for work, but I recently tried them on again and realized that they're extremely baggy compared to the style I like now (slim and tapered). You can see in the pictures how wide and baggy they are, some are even baggier!

Do you think it's possible and worth it to have a tailor drastically take them in? Or should I just donate all my pants and buy new ones? Thanks!

Those bad boys are super long too. I imagine the pleats will cause a lot of issues with having them tailored in a ton. You may be able to do below the knee cuffing and tapering, but I'm not sure you'd get to where you want to be.

Comment

Those are grandpa pants, no way around it. All of your pleated pants need to go in the trash. There are SOME pleated skinny-ish pants that look OKAY... but it takes the right person to pull them off without looking like a grandpa. It has to be intentional, and those, my friend, are not.

Doubt it's worth tailoring most pants unless they were some kind of crazy high-end fabric to begin with. Maybe I just buy cheap pants, but I feel like you could get a decent pair of new pants for about what it would cost to have a pair like that tailored enough. I'd say go to T.J. Maxx and find something that fits.

Comment

@eyo, those are beyond salvation. Ditch them all, painful as it may be.

@nerdland, I agree with you in this case, but tailoring pants is pretty cost effective as long as you aren't doing the seat and waist. My tailor charges around $20-25 for tapering and hemming together. That's worth it by a long shot to have perfectly fitting pants vs decently fitting pants, in my opinion.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Whoa, whoa! Let's not have this thread be another pleat hate fest!

I do agree that those pants are past the point of no return, though. The pleats do make it difficult to tailor, and clothes that need major work done never look quite right even after spending a fortune on tailoring.

Comment

Agree on no need for a pleat hate fest -- I'm fine with pleats done correctly, just was pointing out it would make tailoring a pain, if not impossible.

Comment

Was posting to chastise nerdland, not you buddy :P

Comment

Thanks guys! Looks like these 10 pants will be going in the donation bin! I can't believe it was only a few years ago that I was wearing them!

I don't really like spending too much on pants, usually $30 max. Anyone have recommendations on places/brands to buy new, more fitted, tapered pants?

Comment

You can grab well fitting chinos from BR or LEC for under 30 if you wait for a sale or coupon code

Comment

@Eyo - donate those pants and get flat front, non-pleated pants. The only time I would wear pleated pants is: a) they flattered my body (which almost never happens with pleats), and b) they are suit pants of a good fabric and they flattered my body.

Tailors can be cost effective and save what would be a sure-fire return into a keeper. In fact, a good tailor gives you the option of buying pants that don't fit (maybe buying a Large that's on sale if your normal sized Medium is out of stock) and making them fit you perfectly. My tailor (Perfect Stitches) is amazing. She does all the work on pants needed for $8-10 (last time I needed waist and length hemmed). Now, I sometimes have to go back for more alterations to take in a bit more, but there's no charge for that.

Comment

Random aside, don't forget to get a donation receipt and deduct on your taxes! (So long as in good used condition, etc.... and assuming you're in the U.S.)

Comment

Those pants are a nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                        X