faux-buckle clasps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

faux-buckle clasps

I've got my eye on a canvas/leather briefcase (w/ removable messenger strap) that meets my requirements for price and aesthetic better than most other bags I've seen. However, the bag's fold over flap is affixed by means of button snaps "disguised" as buckles: that is, the buckles are non-functional.

Is this design feature tacky? a faux pas? a dealbreaker? Currently, I'm taking a wait and see stance, to see if I can find another bag I like, but the coupon I have for this particular bag expires in a week. The bag is a Bosca, which I'd never heard of before but seems like a solid, even high end company (the leather on my bag is full grain and the prices on their all leather bags approach Saddleback territory), and it's an in-store only product offered by DSW, else I'd post a link to the offending buckles. Fwiw, I'm not inherently opposed to the idea of a bag w/ button snaps (it does make for easier opening and closing, which I do a lot of on the subway), but I'm just a little iffy on whether or not the disguised snaps cheapen what is otherwise a nice looking, seemingly well-made bag.

Is the buckle really faux...? Usually the strap remains for two reasons: Aesthetics but also so you can manually adjust it to accomodate a fuller pack. So it still serves a purpose.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that, as you can't see the snap when it is closed aka the vast majority of the time.

I understand abhorring unnecessary ornamentation. A lady friend of mine has these high boots that have both laces AND a zipper on the side that i give her a hard time on. As a man, I very much appreciate their sex appeal - as someone who like minimalist design, they drive me nuts.

Comment

Good question. I didn't check to see if the strap could be manually adjusted in that way. I'll have to check when I pass by the store tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
      X