Navy wool blazer woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navy wool blazer woes

I've been searching for a basic, wool navy blazer, for use primarily in an office setting. So far, however, I haven't had much luck. I recently ordered a TH trim fit from Macy's, but when I tried it on the excessive shoulder padding made me look like I was impersonating a linebacker. I'm back to square one & am unsure where to turn next. Does anyone have any good suggestions on where I can find a nice, slim navy blazer at a semi-affordable price (preferably under $350-400)? I'm eyeing the J. Crew Ludlow but it's not clear to me that it is not a suit separate. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this one?

Paging guiltybystander. Paging guiltybystander.

That man has more navy blazers than Russel Brand has regrets about his marriage to Katy Perry.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

If you think $350-400 is affordable, you can walk right into Brooks Brothers and by any one of their fits that you like. I would suggest Fitzgerald, but not knowing anything about you, you should try on a bunch.

Comment

or try suit supply. their blazers are about $299 and have been getting a lot of praise.

Comment

SuitSupply's standard navy blazer is item C501. Here's a link to it on the website.

Comment

My only gripe with SuitSupply's blazer is that it's peak lapel. That's more flash than I want on a go-to blazer.

Comment

I think I've seen a Suit Supply navy blazer in the Sienna cut in the Chicago store (it's not online). It's so similar to the suit jacket on the navy Sienna suit I already own (only a shade darker), that it's not worth it for me. It definitely had notched lapels. I believe it had the VBR fabric that the Sienna did and was less structured. I want to say it was $349. It might be worth asking about if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Comment

OP, I looked forever and finally settled on the BB Fitzgerald for ~ $420 on sale. ($600ish normally which is insane).

Not a fan of Suit Supply's peak lapel.

Charles Tyrwhitt has a blazer in the $300 range, but the fit didn't work for me.

Comment

mrd, tomservo is right - I have way more navy blazers than I need. However, for your occasion, you need a reliable, versatile number that you can dress up and dress down as needed.

I did a brief survey of Shopstyle.com (great for seeing what's out there from numerous brands and for good suggestions on looks).

For a more traditional wool blazer with the obligatory gold buttons, Lauren by Ralph Lauren navy blazer is available for $199.99 in multiple sizes. Center vent. Not sure on fit, but since it's Lauren by Ralph Lauren, you may need to hem the sleeves and take in the sides a bit. http://bit.ly/Q0FW7R

Along the same lines for less (but also available in very few sizes, 40S being one of them) is the Tommy Hilfiger Paine blazer. Gold buttons? Check. 100% Wool? Check. Tailored, slim fit? Well, according to them, yes. Pleasant gorge, two button, and right on the money at $112.79. http://bit.ly/OZdsN3

I second the Brooks Brothers recommendation. If your office's business casual puts more emphasis on the "casual" side, then a navy hopsack blazer might be worth considering. The texture guarantees it will be more casual, but not overly so. It has side vents and is more slim cut. $268 on sale. http://bit.ly/PpsaRr

For a more contemporary look, I like Howe's blazer in cotton which is lightweight and light on the wallet at $89. The only downside? It's a one-button number, which may be off-trend next season. http://bit.ly/OxKVlZ

Good luck! Blazerman AWAAAYyyyyyyy...!

Comment

nicholascrawford, guiltybystander, & zerostyle,

I dislike the shoulders on the Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald blazers. They're also overpriced for the (low) quality of the fabric. Also, the same blazer looked better on zerostyle than it did on me, a sin that I can never forgive.

redbeardedmike, I wish that they listed that Sienna blazer on suitsupply.com. The peak lapels on the Washington have kept me from purchasing more of their blazers.

Comment

I don't know if it's any good, but I found this. 100% wool, made in USA, $200.

http://buffalojackson.com/the-gentleman-s-blazer-100-wool-navy-blazer-53.html

Also, 15% off using code GLP.

Comment

@bruschetta, next time I stop in SuitSupply, I'll try to verify the details.

I've got that Charles Tyrwhitt blazer on the way (classic fit, I thought the lapels on the Tailored were too narrow for a conservative piece). I'll report back when it gets in. I may wind up taking it to a tailor near the Chicago Suit Supply location, so I may be able to report back shortly.

Comment

@bruschetta, next time I stop in SuitSupply, I'll try to verify the details.

I've got that Charles Tyrwhitt blazer on the way (classic fit, I thought the lapels on the Tailored were too narrow for a conservative piece). I'll report back when it gets in. I may wind up taking it to a tailor near the Chicago Suit Supply location, so I may be able to report back shortly.

Comment

@ bruschetta, I feel you man. That blazer fit zerostyle like nothing I've ever had OTR...

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

greg_s, so you agree: we must initiate project blazer games with zerostyle as one of the contestants. Adjust your tie bars, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

redbeardedmike, please share your impression of the CT blazer when it arrives.

Comment

Working...
                              X