Help with some basic dress shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with some basic dress shoes

Hi everyone, I'm looking to get some new dress shoes, just basic brown (I know that's vague but I'm open to a range of brown colors such as cognac, burgundy, etc. - keep an open mind) with a simple design. LIke this:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5490&pid=416132&vid=1&scid=41613201 2

Any ideas?

@mathis whats your price range? The BR shoe you linked will be under 100 if you wait for a 35-40% off code unless you are in a rush

Comment

...just gotta wait for one of the BR codes that allows shoes. They're rare. These shoes are new, but it's crazy when BR wants to liquidate footwear - they'll knock these down to $80 and then offer a coupon. Sizes are hit or miss at that point, though.

I've re-soled one pair of BR shoes and purchased two more. I may be in the minority but with a decent rotation I've had great luck with them.

(That doesn't mean I don't lust over Ferragamos or AEs!)

Comment

Also in the brown dress shoe market. Tried on and like the AE Strands, and the J&M Tyndall wasn't bad either; a little pointier, but maybe more durable given the rubber sole? If I'm only going to own one, is it obviously the Strands, especially since I got them for $219 on the Nordstrom sale? Does the Walnut work with a light khaki suit or pressed khakis on a Friday? I promise to wear bright socks.

Comment

@cjl: if you're only going to own one pair of brown shoes, a walnut Strand isn't the best choice. I'd say think about owning two: a dark brown plain toe, cap toe, or perforated cap toe oxford (or balmoral) like a Park Avenue, Fifth Ave, etc. and a dark brown blucher (or derby) like a Kenilworth, Clifton, etc.

The walnut Strand is a mixture of formal and informal pieces on a single shoe, which I think gives it that pizzazz that everyone likes and can be pulled off on a suit:

- informal: the lighter color

- informal: it's a semi-brogue shoe (it has perforations or brogueing but it's not a wingtip)

- formal: it's a balmoral (versus being a blucher)

It's the type of shoe that people will remember: "Hey didn't you wear those shoes last week?" And although it's nice to get complements on your shoes from time to time, you don't really want your shoes to be the attention getter when it comes to you as a person.

Comment

Mathis - if you have time, watch eBay or wait for sales. I've had good luck with AE seconds, but I've also picked up rubber soled shoes very cheaply at Nordstrom Rack. Personally, I would go for a dark brown balmoral if I could only have one shoe. Then I'd add a brown blucher, a black balmoral...the list spirals quickly.

Comment

My price range is less than $300. I'm not in a huge hurry but the BR shoes were just an example of the kind of shoe I'm going for. I have a pair of AE's for suits but I'm looking for something I can wear with nice jeans, chinos, or dress pants. Something versatile but simple. Thanks guys.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X