What to do with ugly AEs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with ugly AEs?

I have a pair of black AE Hillcrests - the dreaded bicycle-toe. Got them on sale years ago after high school when I still assumed that 'dress' shoes were all ugly.

They have me at a loss as to what to do with them. They are certainly a more casual shoe in construction, but they're black so I would have a hell of a time wearing them casually.

Do I keep them as an 'emergency pair' of black dress shoes? Do I put them up for sale in hopes that someone will appreciate their... unique style? They are well-made shoes and I don't want to simply give them away.

Anyone else have a pair of 'good shoes' that they regret?

Oh the shame...

Oh boy, do I have shoes that I regret! When I first discovered this site and learned just enough about style to be dangerous to myself and others, I went out and bought a pair of horrible burgundy Bostonian captoes and a pair of cheap-looking plasticky black cap toe Cole Haan. A complete waste of >$200 for two pairs of shoes that I have not worn at ALL since I bought them.

As for what to do with them... If you don't have a good rain shoe, like shell cordovan or a nice chelsea boot, you could use them for rainwear. I don't trust overshoes to keep my nice shoes dry and typically just wear cheap throwaway shoes whenever it rains.

Comment

I have seen several pairs of Hillcrests go on ebay if you are looking to sell them. It seems that the Hillcrest and split toes like the Stockbridge are the AE shoes I see the most (and I personally find them both ugly). If only we could all go back in time and stop ourselves from making that purchase which would ultimately be regretted..

Comment

Oh wow this is a topic that hits close to home. When I first moved out on my own many years ago I was barely scraping by but I needed new dress shoes for onsite Sales meetings. I ended up getting a pair of Kenneth Cole Unlisted shoes. The shoes were horrid in both their craftsmanship and their style. I qucikly threw then out when I got my first commission check.

Comment

See if you can consign them to spoopoker, you should see some of the heinous stuff he manages to sell with great photos/descriptions.

Comment

Black Steve Madden square-toe (really square toe) slip-ons for my first office job. They've held up ok, but I can hardly look at them knowing what i know now.

Comment

I vote beater shoes, they're not great but let's face it, most people wouldn't bat an eye at them. Wear them with jeans to a dive bar or anywhere you wouldn't want to wear your nicer shoes. You could try eBay as well, if they're in decent condition it might be worth it if you really don't want to wear them anymore. I have a pair of Florsheim wingtips that have such crappy, shiny leather uppers that after wearing them once I tossed them in my closet where they haven't seen the light of day since. They only cost $50, but considering I've gotten AE seconds for $100 that's a pretty crappy deal.

Comment

If you know you're likely not going to wear them, I'd put them on eBay and see what happens.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice and commiseration. I think I'll list them shortly.

Comment

I actually like the Hillcrests, but then again I don't drink kool-aid with reckless abandon ;-). I have them in Chestnut. They go for around 30-40 on ebay.

Comment

They seem to make more sense in chestnut. However for 30 dollars I will probably hold on to them.

Always appreciate another opinion!

Comment

Working...
                      X