Brown sportcoats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown sportcoats

I saw this post on Put This On a few days ago: http://putthison.com/post/28488651244/second-time-a-brown-whether-worn-casually-with

Basically, the post is saying that after a navy blazer/sportcoat, the brown sportcoat is more versatile than a grey one. Any thoughts on this?

I'd like to add a well fitting sport coat to my wardrobe but wouldn't know where to start when it comes to fabrics and all of that. For some reason, my mind is stuck on tweed as a fabric but wouldn't that restrict it to be a fall/winter jacket?

I agree that brown is a more useful sport coat color than grey, that it will have an easier time complimenting your more casual colored items (khakis, brown shoes, etc...) than a grey jacket would. However, you might want to consider what time of day you wear sport coats. If you are ONLY wearing them at night, then you might get a little more use out of a grey one as it will look sharper / dressier for going out. I wear brown sport coats at night but I can't help but feel its a little off.

Tweed is indeed pretty much reserved for the cooler seasons now. I suppose if you were actually fox hunting in the country you might wear a really light weight tweed during the spring or summer. If you want something you can wear year round and live towards a warmer climate, I prefer cotton or (especially to give it more texture) linen. You can also find linen blends that minimize the wrinkling and texture. Last night I wore a brownish checked sport coat that was cut very much in the way of a traditional hunting or riding jacket, which would be made of tweed, but was actually made of linen - while tweed is obviously tweed and should be reserved for warmer months, I do not think linen has to be worn exclusively in the spring or summer if your climate warrants it. I live in Florida so I stocked up on lots of warm weather sport coats this season.

And let me just say, sport coats are a lot more fun than suits - there is a lot more creativity in putting the individual pieces together and you can have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Good call on the time of day though. I haven't worn brown sport coats before, but I can see what you're saying. I think I may have to go with grey because that would get more use.

Comment

I recently thrifted a brown sport coat that looks almost exactly like the jacket on the left in the middle row of the pictures from the Put This On post, and it's made of silk and wool. It's pretty lightweight, and it is textured, too. It works well at night with jeans, or at work with grey or navy wool trousers. I do think that a brown jacket with a pattern is a much more laid-back look than grey, which to me is usually a good thing.

Comment

Working...
        X