Alternatives to hooded sweatshirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives to hooded sweatshirts

So I love zip up hooded sweatshirts, have for a while and it's one thing I seem to not be able to get away from. On top of my already love of them my cubicle at work is always stupid cold so I usually have one at my cubicle. Of course sweatshirts don't really fall under business casual (even though me in my business casual plus a sweatshirt still looks better than most the people I work with but that's a different issue). While the management here understands why some of us wear them I would like to find something a little nicer to wear. Preferably something I could keep at my desk most the time, can put on and take off easily (zipper or buttons) and that would go with most colors (including black). I have been searching for a while now and just can't seem to find much that I like. Any ideas?

A simple cardigan like this one from Gap could work well.

Comment

I guess I should have added I'm not huge on cardigans. Though of most of the things I've seen that is the route I'll most likely have to take.

Comment

Here's a great article.

http://dappered.com/2012/02/ditching...hirt-upgrades/

Comment

Sportcoat?

Comment

Anything in that article that bremersm linked. May I ask why you're not big on cardigans?

Comment

If you want something comfy I'd stick with a chunkier shawl collar cardigan or a knit blazer. Either of those can feel pretty much like a hoodie and is just as comfortable.

I'm guessing you don't like thin cardigans that fit close to your body - I would give one of the thicker shawl collar ones a try. They can fit a bit looser and I think are more flattering with the extra weight of the collar up top. Target had a really great one last year, made of material exactly like a hoodie, so maybe they'll have another this year. Fall stuff is starting to come up, so your options should be expanding. I would also look at H&M who often has knit blazers, shawl collar cardigans, and pea coats in that jersey/hoodie like material, usually starting around $35.

Comment

VespaMatt pretty much laid out why I don't like cardigans, most the ones I've tried have been too close for my liking with the extra weight I have (which I'm trying to ditch also). I also would like something that zips or buttons up higher than most typical cardigans. May have to look into shawl collar cardigans. The one in the article is nice and if I could find one made from hoodie like material that may be a win win.

On a side note, I like your screen name VespaMatt. I ride Vespas and my name is also Matt.

Comment

Hah, cool coincidence.

I've dropped 30+ lbs since last fall season, so I totally get not liking thin cardigans that hug your body.

Target actually still has the shawl cardigan from last season on clearance. I tried to find the Dappered article where Joe posted about it, but I can't (or maybe I just read about it on threads?):

http://www.target.com/p/mossimo-supply-co-men-s-shawl-collar-sweatshirt/-/A-13582108#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton

I own both and prefer what they are calling 'ebony', which is like a dark grey heathered look, but its only listed in Large. The regular light grey, jersey color is available in a ton of sizes but isn't as flattering/looks cheap. I own both. But hey, for $10 it might be something to try. I would def look into something thicker like that or cable knit. As places start rolling out their fall line you can find some nice stuff like that in places that you wouldn't even usually shop - like I will stop into Abercrombie and American Eagle to check out their outerwear as they often have some decent looking knits.

Comment

I do like that and the large MAY work for me. Not a huge fan of the lighter one. I do look forward to the fall stuff coming out so I can try to look in stores for more options. For $10 that cardigan could stay at work most the time for days I forget something else (if i find something else)

Comment

Banana Republic has a couple nicer looking zip up sweaters with a hood. Look very nice with chinos

Comment

I'll have to look into the Banana Republic ones. While the price would take it out of the running of leaving it at work they may be nice to add to my wardrobe.

Comment

Good call on the zip-up sweaters. Sometimes called quarter-zip sweaters. I bought a couple at Macy's last year but returned them because of stitching errors.

V-neck sweaters look really classy and can range from cotton to cashmere.

What I usually do is layer underneath. I'll put on long underwear, a long sleeve tee, then a button down, a v-neck sweater, then a jacket. As it warms up, I can quickly adjust. I had long underwear on last week for a 6:30a job and was working shirtless in 90 degree weather later the same day.

Comment

NC, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do?

Comment

Seconded on the quarter-zips and shawl collar cardigans. Also worth checking out Henley style sweaters (sounds strange, works great) - I know I scored a fabulous slim fitting one on sale at brooks brothers two years ago. Plus just regular shawl collar sweaters (in addition to the cardigans). All four good options which have the same warming effect as a hoodie - partial coverage of the neck for extra warmth.

Comment

Working...
                              X