Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find nice, solid colored dress shirts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find nice, solid colored dress shirts?

So I recently donated a ton of clothes and largely redid my business casual wardrobe. I'm pretty satisfied with my dress pants but I realize that I don't really have very many nice (not like Brioni nice but rather Nordstrom Calibrate/Neiman Marcus/J. Crew nice) solid colored dress shirts. I know OCBDs are awesome but outside of casualwear I don't like to wear them much. I'd like to buy nice light blue, pink, and lavender dress shirts (I've got the first two in fitted OCBD already) in a good iron or non-iron finish, and something that fits pretty well off the rack so I don't have to spend much on tailoring (the Calibrate Trim Fit black/white gingham shirt in 15.5/34-35 fits me perfectly).

I'm hoping to spend between $25 (if I catch a crazy sale) and $50 per shirt and was wondering where I should be looking. I'm not a big fan of BR shirts because in my experience they don't look very nice in about a year or two, but otherwise I'm open to suggestions. I'm sure I'm just blanking on some obvious names but I'd love some of your suggestions/faves. These Last Call sales only have patterned shirts!

LEC and Lands End usually has good sales where eyou can pick up dress shirts for 20-30

Comment

For that price range your choices are very limited.

Try Express but even their shirts are going to be at the top of your range I think.

Comment

Lastcall has some decent sales now and then (currently, the 35% off single regular priced item is running). You could get Neiman Marcus trim fits in and around 30-40$.

Comment

Vovan, I'm almost positive that there's more in this range (with sales), and I'm not going to by an express shirt. If I'm willing to increase the price range, what comes into play? I was wondering about CT and TM Lewin. Good basics? Pratyk I'm interested in the Neiman Marcus shirts but I want some solids and they're all patterend!

Comment

Brooks Brothers or try one of those online MTM shirt companies. If you're primarily focused on solids, I'm sure you will get a lot of wear out of them and the cost-to-number of wears ratio will actually make the more expensive shirt a better value.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why the unwillingness to buy any Express shirt? It's hardly an uncommon sentiment, but you know, still.

Comment

I don't know... I guess I'll go take another look since it's so close by pitseleh, but it might just be because I feel like there's something...idk, about them.

Comment

I own a lot of Express shirts and I really just don't like the material of the 1MX shirts. They wrinkle more than most shirts when you wash them and they're a pain in the ass to iron. Also if you iron them too hot the spandex material gets a bit shiny. It's really too bad because the medium extra slims fit me perfectly other than the sleeves being about an inch long.

5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

CT is absolutely within your price range if you wait a bit for one of their all-too-frequent sales. Their shirts typically drop down to $35-$40.

I have an Express shirt and I'm pretty dissatisfied with it... The material just makes it wrinkle like all hell with the slightest wear, but I realize that not everyone is as anal retentive as I am. Basically echo what Redford said, as I now see his comment.. lol.

I'm actually gonna go with wiliam on this one, solid colored dress shirts are basically the staple of staples if you wear a dress shirt on any kind of frequent basis, so we're talking about years and years of use here. Like he said, the cost-to-wear ratio on shirts really does justify spending more money than you've allotted, even if you have to build up your wardrobe slowly.

But no matter which way you go, be sure to order a shirt from www.moderntailor.com as their first shirt, a solid white or blue, is only $35 shipped and it's as quality as online MTM can be.

Comment

How does J Crew fit you? You can get Factory shirts in regular 'tailored' fit and slim fit for $50, less when they have coupons. I haven't had a chance to try the dress shirts but I visited a factory store the other day and, while the material on their regular shirts isn't as nice a mainline J Crew, it is still decent for the price and the fit seems consistent to their regular line. J. Crew personally fits me well so thats why I am throwing it out there.

Express shirts are horrible after a while. Unless you get them on super sale its liking throwing your money away because they just won't last.

I second everyone's opinion that you should spend a little more for shirts you plan to wear so frequently. As for MTM... have you thought about Hall & Madden? Its from the same guys who do Proper Suit (Who I know have a bit of a bad rep for incessant self promotion) but the reviews I have read are really great on them: 3 MTM shirts for $150.

Comment

Definitely check out the Brooks brothers clearance which is still going on.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Definitely check out the Brooks brothers clearance which is still going on.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

A couple of other suggestions: Brooks Brothers Factory store + Calibrate/Nordstrom.

Comment

CTshirts.com, for sure. Personally, I think they're great shirts, and they fit right in your budget.

Comment

Working...
                              X