Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greg_s
    replied

@pitseleh, it's one of those things that I've just been told and have read about. So I've always avoided it. Then again, I dry clean almost nothing except for my (extremely rare) thrift finds or eBay items. Plus the method I described is really easy. I just do that once a season (if even that) while I'm doing other things.

Leave a comment:

• bj
    replied

I just got one of those aforementioned J Crew Factory cotton/cashmere sweaters today for only $35. They're really soft and a good mid weight. They had them in a good variety of colors, vneck and crew.

Leave a comment:

• pitseleh
    replied

Really? How quickly are we talking? Even Joe seems to have endorsed dry cleaning them once or twice a year!

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

This is somewhat of an aside, but seriously, never dry clean your sweaters. It really breaks them down quickly, especially cashmere.

Cold water, a small amount of a very gentle detergent, and soak for awhile (hour or so). Move it around in the water every now and then. Roll it in a towel (never wring). Lay it flat on a surface to dry and reshape as it dries.

Leave a comment:

• pitseleh
    replied

He's right about the blend being 95% cotton 5% cashmere. The cashmere really just serves to add a little softness to it and keep it from getting too spongy. In terms of warmth, I don't think it's quite as warm as lambswool, merino, or cashmere, but I live in Ohio and find it plenty warm in the winter. The thing is, in the winter months, it's going to be layered over a button down, and under a winter coat, possibly with a scarf in the mix as well. At that point, I don't think there's a substantial difference in warmth between wool and cotton/cashmere blends, because you've got so much else going on.

I don't really have any strong preference one way or the other (though if I can get a good deal on cashmere or a nice merino, I do like their softness), but honestly, cotton/cashmere has its benefits - in my experience, you tend to have to worry about pilling less, being made primarily of cotton, and they're also almost always washable, so you don't necessarily have to always have them dry cleaned like I do with cashmere and other wool sweaters.

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied

Pitseleh, thanks for writing all that out -- very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Longshanks
    replied

If that is the same J. Crew Factory sweater as I'm thinking is in-store then it's a 95% cotton-5% cashmere blend. I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I do work at a J. Crew Factory store and 95%/5% cotton/cashmere blend men's sweaters did just get rolled out with our fall line. I'm not sure how much so little cashmere would effect the warmth of sweater but the fabric feels smoother than I would expect a 100% cotton sweater to feel, so the cashmere is likely there more for comfort than for warmth.

Leave a comment:

• hon140
    replied

Wow. The price on that sweater is fantastic... (I'm pretty sure I'll buy the regular J Crew Merino V at some point in at least 1-2 colors). But I've never owned a cotton/cashmere blend before. I live in the mid-atlantic, so it gets cold, but not crazy freezing ridiculous (I spent a few months in Montreal a few years ago. I wore long spandex under my pants. I'm not built for cold.) How warm is cotton/cashmere really? (You could use either merino or cashmere as a point of comparison, I own both.)

Leave a comment:

• pitseleh
    replied

Oh man, burnt orange is great. I have a v-neck from Men's Wearhouse of all places, and it fits surprisingly well and looks amazing. It can be difficult for me to find things in rust, so sometimes I just go for orange instead.

hon140, to answer your question, I'm a fan of: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_factory_ca...~~~~/17736.jsp in rowing green. And it's on sale, so there's that.

Leave a comment:

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    replied

Another vote for fall colors like Burgundy, Dark Green, burnt orange. I think the right color of dark orange looks spectacular with dark denim. The same goes for burgundy with chinos and dark denim.

Leave a comment:

• hon140
    replied

@ pit - Seconded on Burgandy! I love that color. And since you mention it...are there any really good forest green (or even better, sea green; its my eye color) sweaters of any sort you know of? I just went through my closet and realized how much I'm under utilizing green. It's an awesome color without being super bold/brash.

Leave a comment:

• pitseleh
    replied

Also, a few pairs of boot socks. This deserves its own post, because I never realized how cold my feet always were until last December when I got a few pairs of weather-appropriate socks. Your feet will thank you.

Leave a comment:

• pitseleh
    replied

Oh, you were serious about actual lists! I think we had a thread for this at some point recently, but for sure, the items I found most abundantly useful (once weekly or more) were these:

-Plain v-neck sweaters in: navy, light gray, burgundy, camel, dark gray, forest green. Literally wore them on a daily basis. Burgundy and camel are, imo, underused colors for sweaters. I think both are pretty much every bit as versatile as navy and gray while also being a little more eye-catching.

-Cardigans in similar colors, but perhaps with some type of styling - argyle, stripes, etc. Allows for similar color use without having to go to the same plain sweater two or three days in a row. I alsothink cardigans look cooler with ties. If you want to switch it up with shawl collars, I have those too, but I tend to think plain v-neck ones are more versatile year-round. If you already have those, I really love a shawl, though.

-Textured/heathered crew neck (or button mock-necks) sweaters, preferably wool, in: deep green, deep brown, rust, and other earthy colors. Cableknit is cool. You can wear flannels under them, have it be a really easy/laid back look, and still manage to look pretty great and stay warm.

-A few wool ties. I went with light gray, charcoal, blackwatch tartan, and a crimson/navy stripe one. Covers a surprising amount of ground for only having four.

-A couple wool/corduroy sport coats. Most people say navy and gray first, and that's not wrong, but I also think it's perfectly versatile to instead go with a dark gray one and a medium brown one. In terms of tone, to me, both colors seem a little more... cold weathery? Of course, there's room for all of the above, but if I were just starting out, those would probably be the ones I'd go to to pair with the rest of my fall wardrobe.

-Moc-toe boots. Kind of a given and very popular at the moment, but mine definitely saw much more use than I expected them to over the winter. Had the price not been so cheap, I would've passed them by, and now I think they're a fairly indispensable pair of winter boots.

-Wool peacoat (obvious, yeah). I went with brown instead of navy and found it went well with most of what I wore, but I also really got a lot of use out of my camel one.

Leave a comment:

• bvaghela
    replied

Sigtweed - thanks for saying that lol. in the back of my head i knew it wasn't a good choice but i guess i was just looking for someone to say so.

hon - that is a great list. i will definitely have to keep my eye out for some of those options.

bb - awesome post. this brought out some good options.

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied

Hon, that's a great list. Thanks for the ideas -- I'm like you, the grey and navy combination is my favorite.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X