Fall Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall Advice

It would certainly help me, and maybe it would help others, if you all could help me think through fall and winter clothes, as well as where and when to get this stuff. It seems like a bad idea to buy things at the beginning of the season, since everything is overpriced for a while. So: when would be a good time to start looking for deals, and who would you suggest looking at?

In particular, I'm interested in getting a shawl-collar cardigan and some corduroy pants, as well as a trench coat (or something like that). Maybe others would have specific things they are looking for, too.

I only started reading Dappered (or caring about anything related to clothing) this spring, so this will be my first ever fall season looking for clothing. If I were giving people advice about the summer, for example, I'd tell them that Nordstrom has a couple of big sales that are good times to pick up AE shoes, and that in July LEC goes nuts and basically gives you their pants for free, and J Crew cleans out their stock for decent prices, which is a good time to get some dress shirts (I happen to like the quality of the ones I've got). What did you all notice from last fall and winter that I should be looking (or waiting) for? Thanks for the help.

For example, should I basically wait until the holidays to buy anything?

Comment

I would start out by keeping an eye on the Gap/BR/ON threesome. It seems like everything is always on sale from those. For fall gear, it will probably start going on sale in late fall through the holidays. Plus you'll get holiday shopping discounts as well. Macy's typically has a bunch of one or two day sales in fall and early winter then again around the holidays.

I myself am looking for some chukkas and a shawl collar sweater. Maybe a new jacket too.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Me too on the shawl collar sweater Sigtweed. Where you looking?

Comment

Just buy in shifts as things go on sale. Some of your pants, etc should work into the fall. Sales start early among Macys, Gap, BR, ON, LEC.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

If you want the best deals, I recommend shopping after June for Spring/Summer clothing and after January for Fall/Winter clothing. I would wait longer for mall brands like Gap/JCrew because they produce more inventory.

You would probably find a great deal on a shawl sweater after April, but you'll probably have to wait at least 6 months before you can wear it. By then, it may not be in style anymore.

I bought a pea coat from J.Crew a couple years ago on sale during the fall season and by the spring time, I could have had it for less than half the sale price.

The key is make a list of things you are looking for and keep your eye out for deals. Dappered does a great job letting you know of any sale out there.

Comment

JFK, Steve McQueen, and Clint Eastwood have all rocked the shawl sweater over the years, to name a few. I wouldn't worry about it going out of style.

Comment

Looks like someone is snipering code and inserting links? I definitely didn't link "shawl collar sweater" above....

Comment

^ The shawl sweater has definitely seen a resurgence in men's fashion the last couple of years. Two years from now, you may see so many shawl sweaters in public that you may opt for the mock turtleneck sweater in your closet instead.

Comment

LakeCharles...

Not sure yet, it's still a little far off but I sort of regret not pulling the trigger on a few last year I saw. I would love a BR because the styles are usually pretty good and you can get a decent deal but the fit isn't right for my stocky frame, A xxl is too long/baggy and an xl is too small...

Maybe Gap or Nordstrom, depends. Hoping Dappered will help me out, haha.

Comment

This is great -- nice ideas. January sounds good to me. I live in the deep south, so I can wait a while on the winter clothes.

Comment

@sigtweed, that is weird. I looked under things that have been moderated and didn't see anything...

Oh nevermind it is the new skimlinks thing that has been installed on threads. I think it is a revenue thing.

Comment

greg_s and sigtweed, a plugin has been installed to help raise the cost of a VBulletin license. It inserts links into posts. Let's run a test: bikini wax, boot cut jeans, white suede bucks.

BB, I recommend bookmarking interesting pieces of clothing and checking on them every so often. Some of the best sales take place at the beginning or middle of a season and it's hard to predict when they will pop up. Joe does a good job of alerting us to these unannounced one-day sales on Dappered.com.

Comment

Yes, I remembered after I posted that there would be the skimlinks thing going on....

Comment

bruschetta, thanks -- good idea on the bookmarks. And I have been reading Dappered every day! Or, at least, I have been reading it since about March.

Comment

Working...
                              X