AE Delray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AE Delray

I am looking for a fairly versatile brown shoe (chinos, jeans, wool trousers). I am specifically looking at the Delray from AE in brown. Is this too formal to pair with jeans and chinos or can it be done? I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, I'm just getting started and trying to replace some chunky rubber soled beauties and want to get something that isn't just reserved for suits.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...Y&mvs=0#miuv=0

Countryside Man of Letters

It can be done because the blucher design makes it a less formal shoe vs the balamoral design of the park avenue. I've seen several people wear their chili Delrays with chinos and it looks fantastic.

Comment

Are they too much for a pair of dark jeans? I wear jeans quite a bit and want to get some miles out of them. Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

@MarkB: Hmm...that's an interesting debate. The blucher design lends itself to casualness but the split-toe design is a little more formal. While I see people with split-toes and chinos I don't think I've ever seen split-toes and dark jeans. I decided to see how this looks myself with my own split toes:

Doesn't look quite right in my view, but it would be interesting to hear what others have to say about split toes and jeans.

Comment

Despite acousticfoodie's massive hog, I don't think it looks quite right either....

Would be fine with chinos but just doesn't match up with denim.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

I've got the dark brown Delrays and I personally probably wouldn't wear them with dark denim. Although their on the casual side because they are bluchers, they have a more sleek shape that gives them a formal look, and the dark brown is just that. I like to wear mine with chinos or slacks.

With that said, I do like wearing my chili Bradley's (smooth calf, not pebble grain) with dark denim. Although it's the same as the Delray in terms of construction (split-toe blucher), it has a more rounded shape to it than the Delray and the chili color is a little less formal than the dark brown.

Comment

@runners --How do the Delrays fit? I'm a 9.5D, but I had to go with a 9.5C in the 3 last, so I'm curious how they run. They're on the 1 last, right?

Comment

I've got a pair of Delrays in chili ($40 off ebay!) and I only wear them with chinos. I also think the sleek shape doesn't go well with jeans. I can usually wear either a 10D or 10.5D with Allen Edmonds shoes and my 10.5D Delrays fit me perfectly. I highly recommend them. They fit well and look great, probably my favorite shoe.

Comment

@MarkB: Honestly, I've found that 7.5E shoes are the safest size for me to go with AE shoes regardless of the last and I've got a variety of different AE lasts. Now I haven't nailed down what a "perfect fit" feels like on AE shoes and I'm personally not that picky as long as it's not pinching my wide feet.

The Delrays are on the 8 last.

Comment

Working...
                  X