Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor shoes (form + fashion)

Hey,

I have been doing a lot of hiking and outdoors stuff lately and am looking for a pair of shoes or boots that are both stylish and functional. Nothing I do is too crazy, but it is definitely to the point where fashion needs to be offset by function. However, we often go straight to the bar afterwards so it needs to look decent with a pair of jeans and a button down shirt.

I have been browsing the catalogs of the usual suspects and nothing has really caught my eye.

I think you are trying too hard when your hiking shoes need to be stylish. They are going to get beat up, muddy, sweaty, etc. Get a comfy pair of sneakers or boots and toss something else in the car for when you go to the bar.

I personally like my Merrell Trail Gloves for running/hikes.

Comment

Look at Patagonia. I think they straddle that line well. I have a pair of these http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-tawa-narwahl-grey and I absolutely love them. Not the most stylish but they've been with me up volcanoes, miles and miles of foreign streets, trails, and even in the weight room.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

I've got a pair of Vans Pritchards. It's basically a skate sneaker disguised to look like a pair of bucks. I have this pair:

It also comes in blue nubuck (my favorite) and gray tweed.

Comment

I don't know how good those would be for heavy hiking, but if you're talking about a walk around a trail or something, they'd be fine.

Comment

Check out the fall boot thread. A traditional, leather boot will serve you just fine. It was, of course, originally designed as an outdoors shoe. I personally would not wear my anything like the vans pritchard to hike in.

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/fall-boot-thread

Comment

Yeah, I love my Vasue Blurs (trail running/hiking shoes) when I'm out birding, hiking, and walking long distances around town with the kids in tow but if I'm at all concerned about looks (not much on weekends, actually) I leave them at home and wear sneakers. That being said, a lot of guys around here (East Bay) wear them all the time due to the somewhat outdoorsy culture, so I don't sweat it too much if I have to wear them to the office in the afternoon after a morning in the field (I work as a biologist for an environmental consulting firm). I really like the look of those Patagonia shoes mentioned by tomservo, though, after my Vasques wear out I may look into those.

Comment

@ Matt

I assume you meant Vasque Blurs?

Comment

Working...
                X