Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first MTM Oxford - white or light blue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first MTM Oxford - white or light blue?

I'm thinking of ordering my first MTM OCBD from Ratio soon and can't decide whether it should be white or light blue. I know I should have both and eventually I will but I'm not sure which would fit my needs better in the short term. I work in an extremely casual office (biologist) so am thinking that blue might be more appropriate to wear on its own vs. white, which may come off as too stiff. Nobody here wears sport jackets or blazers so I'd mainly be wearing it on its own or layered under a sweater (until I get a sport jacket of my own, at least). On the other hand, I know a well-fitting white shirt is a classic staple of a man's wardrobe and given that I don't have one for casual use yet perhaps that should be my first step. Also, I already have a light-blue Loft & Brownstone button-down shirt that could serve as a "surrogate" for the blue oxford until I get a real one. I know I'm probably thinking too much about this, but was just curious about what the Dappered community thought about white vs. light blue oxfords for casual office wear.

White all the way! I have a bunch of white shirts, and no one would ever notice that I'm wearing a white shirt day in and out - it's perfectly neutral and pairs with everything.

Only thing about Ratio's OCBD is that the collar points are a little extra long. I'm personally not a fan of that since I have a tall/long face already and don't need that accented. You can always request that they be a little more traditional and squared off.

Comment

Depends on your complexion. If you have fair, ruddy skin like I do, blue might be a better choice as it will balance the red in your face better. If not, it's probably a toss-up - white is slightly more formal, blue is slightly more versatile, both will probably serve you equally well.

Ben

Comment

I vote white. It's way less noticeable. And that's a good thing.

The fact that you can't get a slim fit OCBD without dinky tiny collars outside of MTM prices leads me to praise your decision to get one from Ratio. Please let us know how it goes when it arrives

Comment

Quick question on a similar subject. I own a really wonderful black, super slim fitting sweater with a quarter zip collar and another black v neck. I know that it looks great with a white shirt underneath, but what do you think about a light blue shirt under something black? I just feel a little strange about wearing dark denim (navy), a light blue shirt, and a black sweater. I'm buying another ratio semispread, and I'm beginning to worry that a light blue shirt wouldn't work under something black. In which case I might go lavender.

Comment

Nick - Thanks for the tip. As you can see I have a pretty tall oval face so I'll probably make that request.

Comment

hon - jeans, black sweater and a blue shirt? Not really exciting. I'd do that with an earth-tone sweater. Lavender and black would look good together, I agree.

Comment

I would have recommended the blue first, but you say you have a blue button-down so getting a color you don't have is a good choice. There's a kind of advice you see in this forum and similar ones, usually from the older crowd (like me), that you start with the basics, and avoid dupication, as well as specialty items, until you have the basics covered. Some of us learned this the hard way (like me), by buying less carefully earlier in life. So if you plan to wear a white OCBD and you don't have one, it's an excellent choice.

You really shouldn't have to worry about colors and laundering ... but then there's reality. Be wary of washing anything with greens and reds until you know they won't run. I have a red and white shirt that's now red and pink after dozens of washings, and it's still running. I don't mind; I don't wash it with whites any more, and it looks OK. But be most careful with anything white. Once a garment has been washed a few times, you can use the knowledge of your experience. But a white that's been turned red or green or blue generally can't be turned white again. If you shell out the lucre for a MTM white shirt, treat it right, and it will serve you well for years.

Comment

I would stick with a whites/everything else sorting policy for laundry.

Comment

@Matt: Go ahead and get the white but you can also get a MTM blue oxford (not quite the classic light blue) on the cheap from modern tailor which is 20 bucks for new customers: http://www.moderntailor.com/pub/desi...icno=&orderby=

Comment

Working...
                    X