X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily WTF - Brooks Brothers Edition

A quilted blazer; really?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...yBlazer_e#null

I actually really dig that. Although very nontraditional, I think it looks like a great casual layering piece for the cooler Fall months. I can picture myself wearing it similar to the how it's worn below...of course, I wouldn't pay full price for it.

http://youhavebrokentheinternet.blog...ry-blazer.html

Comment

Yeah I'd totally wear it. Not at $220, mind you, but for less than $100 I'd seriously think about it. Especially in the green. Very cool in a retro way (pretty sure my dad has an old down jacket from the '70s in the same color).

Ben

Comment

I seen the look before and I think it works, especially in the cold weather months. I'd wear it if I didn't live in Florida.

Comment

What I'll never understand is while everyone is aghast of polyester and other synthetic fabrics that everyone also seems to be just fine with quilted nylon. That is what that jacket is made out of, correct?

I'd like to see something more like this with better execution.

Comment

Never understand...? The distinction is pretty simple to me. It's not that synthetic fibers are BAD, it's just that they are more appropriate for some uses while natural fibers like wool, cotton, linen, are more appropriate for others.

A suit needs to drape beautifully, needs to be breathable, to be long-lasting, resilient to wear-and-tear, resistant to stains, not retain perspiration, resistant to wrinkles. And, of course, it needs to look beautiful. Cost is typically less of a consideration for high-quality wool suits because a suit is simultaneously a luxury and investment item. Wool, though more expensive than synthetics, excels in all the important requirements for a suit.

A quilted down jacket is closer to the realm of technical outerwear, particularly as a technical midlayer or insulating layer. It should be lightweight, inexpensive to mass-produce, excel at retaining body warmth, and either water-proof via the use of a membrane like Gore-Tex, or water-resistant via a durable water-resistant (DWR) coating. These garments are typically designed to be worn for 2-3 seasons of hard use before they must be replaced. Nylon and other synthetic fibers excel in these regards.

No one says that wool is objectively superior to synthetics in ALL regards. It's just that they are different materials with different applications. A high synthetic content in a suit makes it wrinkle more easily, wear down faster, retain perspiration, breathe less well. But synthetic content can be perfectly suited for use in a quilted jacket, even if the quilted jacket has the same general shape as a blazer or suit coat.

Ben

Comment

My point is that it violates all the hyperbolic 'rules' that you see bandied about on the internets. And that surprises me. Barbours and all.

Comment

WTF is this kind of tweed sport coat?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Comment

I like that they use "fun" in the title. That is excellent

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Man do they have the sharpness cranked up on their photos.

It almost looks as if they couldn't find a model willing to be photographed with it and had to photoshop it on.

Comment

greg_s, your comment got a laugh out of me.

runners n jeans, do you know how good I'd look in that blazer? SO good. The ladies would be all uponz with my tweed bling.

Comment

Maybe the blazer is a tribute to this.

Comment

Working...
                        X