Banana Republic Shoe Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banana Republic Shoe Quality

I'm in need of a beater pair of brown shoes and I just saw that BR released some decent looking models. I'm thinking about picking up a pair the next time they run a 40% off promotion and was wondering if the quality is worth the 80 dollars or so that they'll cost.

http://m.bananarepublic.gap.com/product.html?dn=bp416127012&dv=0&shopid=2&pdn=bc13 846

http://m.bananarepublic.gap.com/prod...d=2&pdn=bd5343

I have a few pairs of BR shoes. I wouldn't pay $140 for them, but I think they're worth it if you get them for $80-$90. I have 1 pair that I've owned for over 5 years now. The only issue they've developed over time is a weird squeak in 1 of the shoes. I got the blue suede shoes that Joe featured a few months ago and I must say they are very comfortable.

Comment

From my experience and comments I have seen on forums is that BR suede shoes are pretty good, while the leather ones look cheap.

Comment

I've got the blue suedes as well, and I'm happy with them. I have a pair of black driver loafers as well from this season that have worked out for me. As I understand it, their shoes have had questionable quality in the past, so your mileage may vary.

Comment

I have a pair of the drivers and a pair of brown suede BR shoes. Both are holding up well

Comment

I actually got my first pair of BR shoes from a Clarks/Bostonian outlet over two years ago. (BR shoes used to be made by Clarks. I'm pretty sure this is still the case - anyone know?) I was actually impressed, so now, I've got two more pairs. The two others I picked up more recently, though.

When I first got a pair, I was wearing them as my all-around go to shoes. They were brown ones similar to the current "Turnstyle Dress Loafer." Since I wore them so much, I wore through the heel and rubber part of the sole. I had them re-heeled/re-soled ($45 at my cleaners for leather) and they look good as new with a thorough polish.

My other two pairs are black. One is a loafer with a leather sole that has specks of rubber - people say NOT to wear them when it's wet because the sole leaks. So I haven't pushed my luck. The leather is soft and has stretched on these more than the others since there are no laces. My third pair is last year's version of the Colt Dress Oxford. The main difference is that mine have a rubber/leather sole - like my old brown ones - whereas the new ones have an all rubber sole. I like my combo sole better. The shoe is stiff and is still breaking in for sure. I think I spent $60-80 on each of those pairs.

As someone said above, I don't know if I would splurge $140 on these shoes, but I am definitely happy for what I have paid. I just saw the new oxfords they put up and am very interested. Particularly I like the black Olsen cap toes and the brown Hyde oxfords. Now I just have to wait for one of the coupons that actually allows shoe purchases. Like the monogram collection, most shoes don't get coupon discounts...

Comment

They are terrible -- i have a pair of penny loafers. They are great looking loafers and thats why i bought them. But the left one is perfect looking and the right one looks like it was ran over with a truck and then fell down a waterfall. Nothing has happened to the loafer. It must have had something on it when it was purchased.

NEVER BUYING SHOES HERE AGAIN - for the little bit of extra grab some Coles

Comment

I've had two pairs of BR shoes and the results are mixed. One pair was a pair of penny loafers and they did not hold up well. Almost immediately, they allowed water in through the sole, so if I walked on even slightly damp ground, my socks got wet. They also looked very cheap. They didn't last a year. I got them for $80 (on sale from $120) and felt ripped off.

My other pair are suede wingtips that have been just great. They look good with casual or business casual outfits. I even got a (sincere) compliment on them from the best-dressed partner in my office (who does not wear inexpensive clothing). They have held up very well against some fairly rough treatment (they are often my biking to work shoes) and still going strong after almost a year. I expect they will last me at least another year, but even if they don't, I've more than gotten my $80 worth (also on sale from $120), since I've worn them so much.

In other words, my experience is that the quality is spotty, but when it's good, an $80 sale price is a very good value.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                  I have a few pairs of BR shoes. I wouldn't pay $140 for them, but I think they're worth it if you get them for $80-$90. I have 1 pair that I've owned for over 5 years now. The only issue they've developed over time is a weird squeak in 1 of the shoes. I got the blue suede shoes that Joe featured a few months ago and I must say they are very comfortable.
                  Same here. The blue suedes have been terrific (for $80ish, and i think the same shoe is rebranded at DSW for this price too). The leather ones i have ordered i ended up taking back, none were outstanding, the leathers were meh. The sawyers i almost kept and would consider.

Comment

I have a pair of lighter brown suede shoes from this year and they seem fine too. It sounds like their suede shoes are ok but their leather shoes are a bit more sketchy.

Comment

Interesting feedback gents, thanks. I posted in the comments section about the quality of the penny loafers.

Question...are you guys referencing the more dress-style penny loafers or the driver styles?
                      "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post
                        Interesting feedback gents, thanks. I posted in the comments section about the quality of the penny loafers.

Question...are you guys referencing the more dress-style penny loafers or the driver styles?
                        Mine were the more dress-style. I should add that I think the water infiltration problem was related to some unfortunate rubber bits on the soles (non-skid thingies, I assume). Rather than being stuck on, they were embedded and I think the water was coming in through tiny gaps around those bits. The last time I looked, BR loafers do not have those anymore, so that problem could be gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post

dress, never tried the drivers

Comment

I looked at the BR shoes recently and wasn't impressed. I'd instead look at the Florsheim Limited collection -- good value for a Made in India Goodyear welted shoe.

Comment

Working...
                            X