Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard_Deviance
    replied

I was going to go w/ the DB's (which get down into the $60's w/ Amazon's 20% off if you sign up for shoe emails promo), but I lucked into a new pair of Bushacres for $32, which pretty much made my decision for me. I posted a thread about it yesterday: "accidentally gaming the DSW system."

But yeah, I agree the DB's are nicer and are the better choice if the prices are at all similar. It's also a bit harder to find the Bushacre, I discovered: even the Clarks store in NYC didn't carry it and the two employees I spoke with there had never even heard of it!

Leave a comment:

• JEH
    replied

Standard - what'd you decide on? I saw a pair of Bushacres last weekend, and the insole felt incredibly hard...

Leave a comment:

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    replied

Thanks for the links SD.

Leave a comment:

• Standard_Deviance
    replied

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Here's the Amazon link, Sig: http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Originals-Mens-Desert-Beeswax/dp/B000WUAP9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344000509&sr=8-1&keywords=clarks+beeswax

The Bushacres are available for $80 at DSW (both in store and online) and I recently got one of their $10 off reward coupons: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/clarks+men%27s+bushacre+chukka+boot?prodId=207132& productRef=SEARCH

Leaning toward the DB, but I picked up both so I can compare in person and decide. Curious to see the color difference in the leather when they're side by side... I did notice the Bushacre seemed to be a bit lighter, but thought it might've just been my memory playing tricks on me.

Edit: Thanks, too, for that SF link, itsm. Helpful to see the comparison laid out like that.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied

You can get them for $77 on Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• n2theluz
    replied

I own a pair of bushacres in beeswax leather and a pair of original desert boots in black suede.

If you can get the Original Desert Boot for $77, snatch that up. The Original is a better quality and more comfortable. The inside has more padding for the soles of your feet.

The bushacre is more of what you would see at a Nordstrom Rack, DSW, Off-Broadway kind of store. You would also find them in the Clark Outlets.

The Original Boot is a higher quality and is what is sold in the actual Clark stores, Nordstroms and such.

Where are you getting Originals for $77, if you dont mind. I would love to replace my leather Bushacres with a pair of leather Originals for the Fall.

Leave a comment:

• itsm3json
    replied

Check this link out for comparison:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/27461/cl...5#post_4873036

Leave a comment:

• D.Craig
    replied

The beeswax Bushacre's look like a lighter brown color than the darker brown beeswax desert boots. So whichever shade you prefer may help in the decision.

Leave a comment:

• pitseleh
    replied

Well, I haven't really worn a pair of Clarks through the worst part of winter here, but they're typically billed as three season boots, so I'm guessing the answer is... not great, but probably doable if you don't live in an abnormally rainy or snowy climate (Pacific Northwest, Midwest, Canada, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• TennisKid1192
    replied

I'm considering the same shoes!

Also, just wondering, how do these shoes hold up in wet/snowy conditions?

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied

I can't comment on those 2 but In another thread where I asked about the Clark's desert shoe, someone recommended the sperry desert boot. After reading reviews, it turned out the sperry was supposed to be much lighter and more comfortable. I received it in the mail today and the boot is very light with a bouncy sole. I'd highly recommend it as an alternative.

Leave a comment:

• pitseleh
    replied

I considered this same thing, and for what it's worth, while I do think the soles on the bushacre are appreciably more durable/less given to deterioration and discoloration, I also think that a fundamental part of the aesthetic appeal of beeswax Clarks for me was the crepe sole. That contrast between the light sole and the leather upper really exemplifies what I like about Clarks! The Bushacre looks similar but... loses something essential, imo.

In my experience having worn them pretty consistently for a month or two now, and having other, older pairs of Clarks, the crepe sole will last plenty long. Think more in line with a pair of Asics or something than Allen Edmonds, but then again, for under $80, who's really expecting that degree of longevity? I've also found the discoloration tends to still not be so bad as to completely blacken the sides of the soles, so even though they'll look absolutely filthy on the bottom after about fifteen minutes outside, the look of the contrast sole doesn't really seem to go away.

If you don't care about that, though, or prefer a lack of contrast, the Bushacre is probably unequivocally superior. It's less expensive, more durable, less given to looking awful after one day's wear, and is thicker and thus probably better at cushioning your feet from gravel and other objects that can be felt through a normal pair of Clarks' crepe soles.

Leave a comment:

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    replied

I'm considering my first pair of Clarks and was wondering this as well.

Might you provide links to where you see these prices?

Leave a comment:

• Standard_Deviance
    started a topic Clarks Desert Boot vs Bushacre 2

Clarks Desert Boot vs Bushacre 2

I'm looking to buy one of these two in Beeswax leather. The Bushacre I can get for $70, the Desert Boot for $77, so price is almost a wash. Other than the crepe sole on the desert boot, which I've heard can wear out kind of quickly, are there any other differences in quality or style between the two shoes? I live in NYC and do a fair bit of walking on a daily basis, so I'm kind of leaning toward the Bushacre for its rubber sole. But the desert boot retails at a higher price, so I'm wondering if there are any other differences I'm overlooking that would make it better to get the desert boot. Thanks!

Working...
X