Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H&M Shirt Fit Questions (and hopefully answers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H&M Shirt Fit Questions (and hopefully answers)

Hey gang, just wanted any further info I can obtain before making any purchases. A H&M store just opened up at the mall by my apartment (as if I need any more temptation to browse and spend money) and I'm in the market for grabbing a handful of casual wear (think weekend days lounging around, or going to a place like a concert where you wouldn't want to be too dressed up, but also not looking like a wreck in torn jeans and band shirts). I was just wondering about the cut of the shirts (and any info on the clothing in general). I've seen that they mark various pairs of pants/jeans as "slim fit" but didn't see any such labels on the shirts in the store I went to. Looking at past articles and whatnot on the web, it seems like most of their shirts are considered a slim cut. I'm partial to shirts like the Express fitted, Ralph Lauren Custom Fit, Calvin Klein Body/Steel, and the GAP/BR slim fits. Just looking to potentially add a few "runaround" as I like to call them shirts to the mix. I know some people have mentioned having good luck with the brand before, so hopefully I'm able to have the same experience.

For my humble opinion: Express Extra Slim Fit in Medium are perhaps the perfect OTR shirt for me. I am 6' ~185-190 lbs athletic build. I take a Small in Lands' End Canvas shirts. J.Crew Factory Slim fit in Medium fits reasonably well (could be taken in a bit, just don't want to spend the money on tailoring). J.Crew Factory regular fit Smalls fit just fine.

Hope this helps

Comment

H&M is hit or miss the vast majority of the time. If you are very slim you will be overjoyed to find many things in the store will fit you off the rack. You will also find that many of those items are poorly constructed.

Shirts: Casual shirts vary widely in quality, especially when it comes to fabrics. How fitted the shirts are can vary as well. Semi-casual/'business casual' shirts are usually more consistent in sizing and fit very trim, though the arms are often cut absurdly low. Dress shirts (made in turkey, I believe) are available at some stores and are reasonably well made but are much too expensive for what they are. Found an english collar white dress shirt that saved my life but won't be back for another.

Pants/trousers: Again vary in quality. Have a few pairs of cheap cotton trousers of dubious construction that fit like a million bucks, while casual slacks I have found fit way too loose in the seat for myself. Jeans are decent but there are higher quality brands out there for the same price - sales might make them worth it.

Sweaters/cardigans/etc: Better luck here. The odd dud makes it past QC, but they often have a lot of tasteful shawl-collar cardigans, lightweight pullovers and so on that are worth checking out.

Suits/sport coats: Cheap, fused, and of poor quality, but you might something worth it for the money. I bought a cheap blue linen suit (lined! why lined?!), had it brought in at the tailor (yes I'm skinny) and people can't believe that it's from H&M. I'd buy here before Zara.

Comment

In my experience: their shirts are all slim fit. Literally all. None of them say it because it's a given. The fit is, to me, somewhere around an Express' fitted fit, but tighter in the arms and chest, and perhaps somewhat less tapered in the sides, all things equal. If you like Express fitted shirts, I think you should do reasonably alright at an H&M.

My main gripe with them is that, perhaps due to their European origin, sizing runs a little small. This would be alright if it were like Zara and everything ran almost a full size small, but it doesn't. If you're a solid S/M/L, you should be be fine, but if you're on the large end within whatever size you are, you might find a lot of their clothes in your normal size slightly too small (or, at least, not as comfortable as you might like), while also finding the next size up far too large. On the plus side, this could be seen as an encouraging reason to lose weight!

Comment

Wow, just realized I listed my size in every brand other than H&M. I am a Medium in H&M and they fit around Express M fitted as pitseleh stated.

Comment

H&M shirts fit pretty slim:

Comment

H&M shirts are slim fitting in general but they do have a "relaxed" fit option. As others have mentioned, the quality varies from "meh ok" to absolutely terrible. Check the tags for synthetic thread counts and look at the stitching before you buy. I have a few things from H&M, but I don't expect them to last past a season or two. Don't throw down a substantial amount of money for any of their clothes especially if you are buying a cornerstone of your wardrobe. Best bet is wait and save up until you can afford a little higher quality. That said, I have a $20 rule at stores like H&M. If it is less than $20 and I like it, it's worth snagging because of such a small monetary investment. Also, their lighter colored shirts are all basically transparent so watch for that (as you can see from acoustics 2nd pic where his pants are clearly visible through the shirt). Hope this helps!

Comment

For what it's worth, I find that the "Easy Iron" slim fit from H&M is a great any-day dress shirt. I tried one out via thrifting and immediately liked the armhole height and sleeve width. I wear medium in Express 1MX shirts (in their vests I go small) and like the H&M's best. Plus they seem to last longer and don't resist ironing as much as the 1MX. For budget-minded shirting, I dig it.

Comment

Working...
                X