Too big for skinny ties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too big for skinny ties?

Hi all, I'm new to Dappered and after a bit of searching I couldn't find my answer so I thought I'd ask a question of the community.

I'm 6'4, 200lbs. 32-33 waist and 40L jacket. Am I too big too pull of a skinnier tie? Most of the guys I see rocking the trendier, slimmer, look tend to be smaller and skinnier than me... but I'm looking to update my look and my tie collection.

What are your thoughts? And if you think it would work, what width would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sounds like you're pretty thin still. I'm 6'3, 225lbs, 36 waist and 44L jacket. I don't wear any tie skinnier than 3" bc otherwise they look ridiculous. That being said, 3.125" is pretty spot on, and I think essentially is the 'skinny' tie for my size.

Comment

You are probably fine to wear a slimmer tie.

Don't overdo it, though, and do match the tie to the jacket. It's all about proportions. A 'slim look' is one thing, and a 'skinny tie look' is another. I'd avoid the latter.

Comment

yeah I'll second Lib, you certainly don't want to go with "skinny" that was all the rage a few years back. Slimmer you could certainly pull off. I'm 6'7" and generally somewhere around 195 and I certainly don't exclude myself from wearing slimmer ties (though I do avoid vertical stripe patterns like the plaque). Though be careful that the slimmer ties don't form too straight a line or else it will accentuate your height.

Comment

Working...
        X