Dress jeans suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dress jeans suggestions

I need a pair of dressier jeans that I could wear with say a blazer. I was thinking of picking these up from the Nordstrom sale. Although I'm actually a 32/30 so I'd have to get them hemmed 2 inches. Would these be a good choice?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/john-varvatos-star-usa-authentic-straight-leg-jeans-dark-indigo/3224642?origin=shoppingbag

Any other cheaper suggestions would be great as well.

You could try urban outfitters and maybe look for some raw denim, you'd have to wash it right away to keep it from getting the "stress marks" but everyone raves about raw denim. It is a heavier weight in general as well.

I ordered 2 different pairs from UO, have zero experience with wearing raw denim as well so you'd have to research it to see if your interested.

Comment

I think those would be a fairly good choice. I'm also wholly ignorant regarding anything about denim, but as long as you stay dark I don't see a problem.

Comment

Before you part with your money, take a trip down to sears (or any department store, really) and try on some Levi's 514s in rigid. They'll have them in 32/30.

If they fit you well, buy them, cut off the cardboard label on the waistband, and never wash them.

There are some beautiful pairs of jeans out there in really interesting fabrics, but if you're just looking for dark wash denim to wear with a jacket, there's no need to spend a lot.

Comment

Lib - I'm confused about the 'never wash them' statement. And not sure even if I understood it, that I'd be happy with not washing them. Granted I don't wash my jeans as often as most of my other clothing, but they still get washed when I think they're dirty.

Comment

Oh, you can spot clean them, or take them to the dry cleaners, but if you throw the vast majority of 'dark wash' denim in the laundry as per usual you will see fading that will detract from the 'dressier' look that you are trying to achieve.

Comment

Definitely agree with the sentiment regarding a nice fitting pair of Levis 514. Macy's might also be a good spot, they usually have a good selection of Levis as well.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I, too, am a 514 believer. Never washing really works if you don't get them dirty. Denim doesn't hold bacteria like other fabrics and your jeans don't get worn out.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Not sure if you have them in your area, but I get many of my jeans at Nordstrom Rack. You can find Sevens or Joe's Jeans, etc. for under $100.

Comment

For washing jeans, I just gently rinse mine in the bathtub inside out in cold water and detergent. I'm told woolite preserves the color better also, but haven't tried it yet.

Comment

I use LEC dark resin jeans. Usually 10-15 bucks during sales. Works great!

Comment

On the note of not washing those jeans, if they get a bit rank, say from a day in the sun, toss them into a ziplock bag. Then toss the bag into the freezer. The cold will kill the odor causing bacteria. Neat little trick I use on shoes when I go sockless.

"We had a sick night b*tches!"

Comment

Also a big fan of a $30 pair of dark 514s without any whiskers. Want to wear with a blazer? Steer clear of the bee-yellow stitching. My recommendation: Tumbled Rigid.

The 514 isn't for everyone. If you've got speed skater horse thighs, the 501 might work. But if you've got skinny legs, the 514 is definitely the way to go. If you go slimmer, then you're going to need a blazer that's equally shrink-wrapped to your upper body.

EDIT: I realize they're $44, but they have 30-40% sales about once a month.

Comment

For everyone who was recommending the 514's, that's a no go. I tried them on at the Levis store today and they were super tight in the upper leg/thigh area. Same issue with the 501's as well. Any other suggestions?

Comment

For me, jeans are definitely an item I will pay big bucks for. As long as you take decent care of them, jeans will last until you don't want to wear them anymore. Jeans are also something that need to fit VERY well. Once you find a brand, stick with it and buy a few pair. My favorites are Diesel and Rock & Republic ( haven't tried them since they got bought out though).

Comment

Working...
                              X