Best with lapels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best with lapels?

I have been seeing a number of men who are wearing vest with lapels, both notch and peak. I was curious what everyone thinks of them, both worn alone and a part of a three piece.

"We had a sick night b*tches!"

I like the look of them as a standalone piece so they don't really have a place as part of a three piece in my mind; the redundancy of the lapels seems like it would be comical. They fall into that zone where someone tried to dress up an inherently less formal look (three piece sans jacket) and left a lot of room argument. Hence my recommendation that if you're going to wear one, wear it casually or business casually, assuming you're the kind of person who already wears a matching vest and pants.

Regardless of my recommendations, I've never actually seen them being sold anywhere and have never worn one either.

Comment

I have yet to see them sold anywhere either.

And I am guilty of wearing a three piece sans jacket. But that's usually one because I wore the jacket for the majority of the day and now I'm going out for dinner or drinks. Still feel like I am by far the most rakish bloke in the bar.

Comment

Don't feel bad, I love wearing a matching vest and pants (even if I didn't buy the two as a suit or even suit separates). It's how I perceive business casual. As well as the fact that I haven't found a good tailor to take my shirts in yet, so it hides the otherwise unsightly billowing.

Comment

I always keep a set of wurkin stiffs in the glove compartment and driving loafers in the trunk. Tie comes off, new collar stays come in, sleeves get rolled up, shoes get swapped for loafers sans socks.

I don't feel bad since I feel confident about it.

Comment

Damn straight.

Comment

I talk about it all the time, but I bought the Dappered-recommended vest from UO last fall and enjoyed wearing it through the winter months. I'll bring it back this fall.

Comment

I've seen that and I've actually tried it on. I'm not a fan of the three buttons. I prefer to leave the bottom one undone but then the vest just felt weird to me. If it were a 4 button, I would have picked it up.

Comment

The 3 buttons are probably part of the rougher/casual ensemble versus a more formal 5+ button vest. The thing about vests is that since they make them in S/M/L sizes, it's tough to find one that's exactly the right length (aiming for the middle of the belt buckle). So what works for me won't for everyone and vice-versa.

Comment

I figure that's why they went that route. And I admit it looks great in the pic. Just felt weird on me and wasn't with my likings.

Comment

Working...
                    X