Need advice for how far to have shirts tapered in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice for how far to have shirts tapered in

For starters, I have a 41.5" chest, 31" waist, and wear a 16/34-35. I have had close to ten shirts tailored now by a tailor who is my go-to. When I have the shirts tapered they still billow more than I would like at the waist and have excess fabric in the back, even though they fit well around my upper torso/rib and shoulders. It's just getting frustrating because I have yet to find a shirt which fits close to well off the rack and when I get them tailored they still billow more than I want. How close to the waist can I get these tapered without restricting my movement? Can I take them back to the tailor and have them take in only the waist a bit more? Thanks for the input guys, that's my rant.

Take it in as much as you want aesthetically and tell your tailor to leave enough fabric in the seams to adjust if it's too constricting or limits your movement too much.

Comment

It's REALLY hard Dangle, you have similar measurements to myself, even MTM shirts have a bit of billow IF I untuck them to kind of help buttons etc. If i have it untucked it cuts in tight but just slightly untucking seems to cause a little bit of billow. However I suspect it MAY be that my pants are also roomy around my waist, due to leg requirements, so I think they might let the shirt untuck more than I'd like/cause it to not pull down and keep everything in place.

Comment

Take a look at the Nordstrom Calibrate trim fit shirts, they might be a good starting point for an OTR fit, and then go from there?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. @losrockets, I actually just got in a Calibrate trim fit yesterday and it will still need an inch or more taken in. Would taking them back to to tailor and having them only bring the area around my waist in until it is snug help/be a good call?

Comment

I've had to take into account how much my waist changes from standing to sitting. Granted, I have a gut, but every guy will be at his widest sitting down when your middle relaxes. I now get shirts that fit sitting and put up with the difference standing.

Comment

Show the tailor a picture of a shirt fit that you like. This is what I aim for:

Possibly shorter sleeves, but I like the body that way.

Comment

@NC: Nice fit! Are you able to roll up your sleeves on all of your tailor shirts or only some of them after slimming them down like that?

Comment

Those are all off-the-rack. I mean, if Express sold Small Tall Extra Slim Fits in stores, they would be on the rack, but I had to order them online.

The sleeves on their Small Talls are a little bit too long for my arms, but the Smalls are way too short, and she said she would take longer over shorter any day.

Comment

Working...
                  X