Shoes for Commute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoes for Commute

Hello all- I am starting a new job soon which requires me to walk nearly 2mi to and from the office on pavement so I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to the shoes I should wear for the commute since I would really like to avoid wearing out my leather AE soles so quickly.

Loafers, boots, etc I am open to all suggestions but I would love to spend under $150.

http://rinkpavilion.files.wordpress....er-skates2.jpg or https://wiki-land.wikispaces.com/fil...aaascooter.jpg (tassels optional, but highly recommended)

Comment

They don't get much attention, but I think the Cole Haan Air Coltons would be a good play here. They've got Nike soles/heels that would make walking long distances more comfortable.

Comment

When I think comfortable dress shoes I always think of Rockport.

Comment

Could you wear sneakers and change into your dress shoes at work?

Comment

Ugh please no! Just buy some beater dress shoes with rubber soles. It is worth the investment to save you the embarrassment of wearing sneakers with nice clothes.

Comment

Haha, ok, you win that point. I see it all the time but I guess it does look pretty silly.

Comment

Even with beater dress shoes I'd still change after the commute...

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Oh yeah definitely change at the office. There is no one in the history of mankind who can make the sneakers with dress clothes look work for them. I equate it with the fanny pack in terms of a style faux pas.

Is there really no bus or anything that can save you the 2 mile walk?

Comment

I've got shoes from Clark's Unstructured line that are what I use when I don't want to wear sneakers / hikers but need to do a lot of walking (airports, business trips, etc). They have a rubber sole that is pretty comfortable, enough support, and should look ok to anyone who takes a quick glance as you're walking down the sidewalk. I've spent all day on my feet on occasion, walked far more than 2 miles, with no complaints. They've held up pretty well, so they should last long enough for you to get your money's worth.

Comment

I would definitely not wear sneakers as I hate this look and I would never live it down in the office if I ran into a coworker. Also I have this distance of a walk primarily because I would rather walk in the morning provided that the weather permits doing so.

And yes, I was planning to change my shoes at the office. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Comment

I second a pair of rockports, mine have held up with daily wear for 3 years, the one looks brand new almost...other is wrinkled bad. Never used shoe trees on them though.

Comment

Serious answer, I agree with the rockports. I've found them to be pretty comfortable for walks such as this and not look bad doing so. Wouldn't do sneakers. Anything from the Cole Haan Air line, as someone mentioned, would also work and could also be something you wear at work.

Comment

@mrusso: You may want to invest in topy for your shoes then? it's 20-25 bucks for a thin rubber sheet under your leather soles that can be replaced when its worn out.

Comment

I would do sneakers. No one besides people on forums will care how you look, and when you get into the office, change into your expensive whatevers. A pair of plain white sneakers will look fine with anything sitting on the subway/train/running in the rain.

Comment

Working...
                              X