Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok ok ok, need ya'll opinions!

Guys,

I have been searching high and low to find a snazzy trench coat for sometime now and, by gosh, I think I have found it. Thing is I am always looking for "the best deal" and advice in making the right decision. That is where you come in!

BR Factory has this trench coat for $149.99. (http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=813284002) Tomorrow, it will be on sale for 40% off plus I think I can use an additional 15% coupon. Price should be approximately $70 to $80.

Is there a better deal or company you'd recommend? Is BR Factory "all that it could be"? Gimme the advice. Thanks in advance.

I'd say that's worth it for 70 to 80. It will likely need some tailoring but I've been eyeing the same jacket for a while.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

That's a nice coat. Many retailers will have a different line of clothing at their "factory stores", which is generally of lower quality. However, if you like the garment, the label is immaterial. Don't let other people tell you what's good. I'm sure its not half the quality of a Burberry(s) or London Fog, but you're also paying 20% of the price.

That jacket, or one that looks much like it, is a steal at $80. Go for it, and rock it like it cost a $grand.

Comment

Thats one heck of a deal! I've always liked the Holborne from J. Crew but it never goes on sale... J. Crew factory has them now for 108. Just another option http://www.jcrew.com/mens_factory_ca...~~~~/43658.jsp

Comment

Both those trenches look good, but keep in mind you do get what you pay for. Water proof they are not, and may only be mildly water resistant. If you don't mind that in a trench, then buy it, by all means. Personally, I wouldn't put out the money for a trench (or any other article of clothing) unless I knew it would serve the purpose for which it was made... In this case keep me dry in hard downpours.

Comment

You all make excellent points regarding the trench and it's rain protection. I feel that this trench serves the purpose of looking together and debonair (sp) as I make my moves around the great city of DC. I just purchased it and I feel great about the jacket. Works with work or casual attire. Thanks for all ya'll advice and critique. Much appreciated.

Comment

Yeah, I hear ya Heafcliffe. All the trench coats out on the market are made for fat businessmen and are super expensive.

I've had my eye of this mac jacket from River Island... Apparently they currently do not ship outside the UK but plans are in the works. Hopefully the item/sizes will be still available once they make that transition.

http://www.riverisland.com/Online/me...jacket--252141

Comment

The Chang, that jacket is nice! I like the length. Good luck with the shipping problem. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Basically, at that price it should be great and not all that far below some higher end brands, since with that brand you don't pay that 95% mark up for the exclusive name.

Comment

@Cannon, Which jacket are you referencing?

Comment

@Albert Just a general exaggeration about designer pieces. Surely you don't think their jackets cost $1400 because they pay tons more for special cotton or super cows for leather...

You pay for the name when you start picking designers and department stores. I know that quality is helped by a company that is willing to bring their price up so that it doesn't affect them, but I once read that the £180 t shirts you buy made in England from designers including Burberry and Gucci (I think that was one they mentioned) cost less than £5 to make. While they are some of the nicest quality shirts you can get, the price is clearly dictated by the exclusive branding, not by it costing a certain amount to make. It doesn't cost them tons more to make those, it just costs us as customers that mark up because the brand is known for those prices and paying for top quality (even if it costs nowhere near what they charge).

I was basically saying that the trench shown is going to be fine and realistically can't be that bad of a deal since it isn't a super expensive buy to begin with. For the price, it should be plenty enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                      X