Help me decide on two pairs of Meermin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me decide on two pairs of Meermin!

Okay, so I've decided to get two pairs of shoes from Meermin in the next few days (PutThisOn's sponsored purchasing guide helps: http://broguesbeforehoes.tumblr.com/...-so-as-of-late)

I'd like things that can be worn semi-casually as well as formally. I'm thinking a dub monk, a wholecut leather black oxford, or a suede wholecut oxford. Help me narrow that to two! My main concern is not knowing how to wear the suede wholecut, what exactly would go with something like that?

The contenders:

The Monk: http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2338

The Leather Wholecut: http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1920

The Suede Wholecut: http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2345

Anyone want to chime in on what that suede could go with? Any ardent defenders?

For consideration: I currently have a semi-casual brogue (Strand), a semi-casual captoe open lace (Magnanni Federico) both in brown, and various other casual slots filled.

Wholecuts seem very formal, is that so? If so unless I wore suits almost every day I don't think I'd get much use out of black wholecuts, other than occasionally pulling them out of my closet to ogle them. Suede seems like it could go casual, especially in that color. The monks look good, if you don't have a pair they seem like a solid deal given how few options there are for $200-range monks.

Comment

Kenneth, I know that I posted a warning about their customer service in your other thread, but they really are very attractive shoes. The wholecuts look great in both calf leather and suede. Have you taken a look at their tumblr? They have more models on there.

Comment

The monks and the suede wholecut (who knew I wouldn't vote for the black ones??). They are very nice looking and I'd love to see pics when you get them. The suede wholecuts walk that line of dressed up yet dressed down. Could work with dress pants/chinos, blazer, and tie or a dressed down suit (casual shirt and tie).

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

It would be very tough for me to turn down the Monks if I was in the market for some shoes. They may very well be my next purchase. They are the closest thing I've seen under $300 to the Sid Mashburn Monk (Shape wise especially) which I feel are the best looking Monks out there.

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/foot...n-burnish.html

Comment

Those sid mashburn monks look a lot like my herring monk straps in red mahogany that were 155Ā£

Comment

Shadow...it's not very polite to say that. It's one thing to encourage people to look on eBay for deals and offer a price range, but I would stop short of responding to someone excited about making a purchase with words to the effect of "yeah, I got a way better deal on that", which is something you do on a very regular basis. Or you'll tell someone excited about buying AE shoes that they have terrible customer service based on your single experience, etc. I think there's a line between helping people avoid making a terrible mistake and bewildering them.

You've got a wealth of experiences with many different shoes, so I would draw on that to guide them towards specific deals that you like or quality shoes that you've found without taking away from a perfectly valid alternative that they might like.

Comment

You guys are persuasive! Looks like it'll be the suede wholecuts and the monks. Will update when they come in.

Comment

Or just go with all 3.... :P

Comment

I'm this close to pulling the trigger on the brown longwings.

Comment

Do iiiiiiiit

I'm hoping to become the Official Dappered Threads Enabler.

Comment

You already are! Achievement unlocked.

Comment

Haha. Jokes aside I'm a huge fan of longwings. I have a pair in brown and a recently acquired burgundy shell pair. They both will be seeing a lot of wear when it isn't 95 and humid every day.

Comment

I've long been in love with <a>Alden for J. Crew's longwings</a>, and these are pretty close to the same but for a wayyyy better price.

Comment

Greg, don't enable me! I don't need much encouragement to make bad decisions as it is.

My only caveat with monks in general is the whole boat-like shape that they have, what with the rounded lasts and toe... An issue that longwings also share in my mind :P

Comment

Working...
                              X