Versatility of burgundy wingtips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Versatility of burgundy wingtips?

Hey guys, I'm in the process of building my shoe collection. So far I have Clark brown leather chukkas, and dark chocolate Sebago Docksiders. I recently ordered and received the No String Wing in brown leather and Kearney in Taupe from Florsheim. Both were too big so I am returning them for a size down. I plan on keeping the Kearney's as I think they look great. However the No String Wing just had an almost plastic/fake look to it, at least to me. I came across these http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/...r-header-17066 when looking for a different wing in the same price range. Would burgundy be versatile enough to wear with dark denim but also for business casual? What about with a navy suit (whenever I buy one? I plan on getting some AE Strands this fall for my birthday so I will have the cap-toe covered soon. In the meantime, is this a solid color/style to add to help establish my shoe rotation?

It definitely works for business casual. They could go with a suit or jeans if you are dressed up on top (blazer and tie).

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Thank for the input. Just making sure I get some classics in different colors. Like I said I plan on getting the AE Strands in brown or walnut soon, so I'll have the brown lace up covered. I don't want to build up my collection then realize I have a pair I can only wear with one or two things.

Comment

I have those same shoes in burgundy and I wouldn't recommend them. The leather is plastic/fake looking - I haven't seen the No Strings but if you don't like those I can't imagine you'll like these. They're not bad as far as styling goes, but the uppers just look so artificial they don't really work with any clothing. I got them for like $50 and I don't think they're even worth that price with the other options out there. I should never have worn them out and just dumped them on eBay.

Comment

Yeah for that price you can score some shell cordovan wingtips on eBay in burgundy.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@Trash, just saved me some money and trouble on those. Anyone have any recommendations for a versatile wing for my first pair in the style in the $100-150 range?

Comment

Yea I gotta go with Trash on this too. I have the same shoes and hardly ever wear them. They creased up pretty bad on the top and look really cheap. Its weird because I have the non-wingtip version in black (http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/17067-05.html) and have worn them regularly for a long time and they look great. I think the black color hides some flaws/cheapness look.

Comment

Typically, anything that actually admits it has a "high gloss finish" I'd stay away from.

Comment

Okay I'll keep that in mind, because the No String Wings had the most awkward plastic/fake look to them. Do any of you have recommendations for a solid wingtip in the $100-150 price range? I'm open to different colors other than burgundy also.

Comment

AE seconds are an option though you'd have to wait for a sale to get in that price range. I got the Player's Shoe in walnut and it's great. Otherwise you have many options from mass-market fashion brands, but most are going to be lower quality leather. That being said, there's soft, pliable crappy leather and shiny, stiff crappy leather. Found this <a>Sebago Brattle wingtip review</a> from Joe, and I believe Endless has a 20% off code so you might get a decent deal on these.

Comment

Dangle, look at the Florsheim Veblen in Wine

Comment

Decided to pick these up on the sale in dark brown. I saw a pair on eBay which had been worn a bit and the color was spot on for what I was looking for. Would these work with some dark denim and chinos as well as dressing them up?

Comment

Dark brown Veblen and jeans, definitely, chinos yep, suits not as formal as I'd go with but not offensive to most people either. Tradition is derbies don't go with suits, but nobody is going to call you out and if it's a casual environment I think it's fine. For business casual or with sportcoats, definitely works

Comment

Ah forgot the link, not the Florsheim's, these: http://www.lastcall.com/p/Hugo-Boss-...p/prod8660032/

Comment

Unless you're an 11D/E, watch eBay for AE shoes and set a limit of $50 including shipping. You'll have 3 pairs for that same amount of money.

Comment

Working...
                              X