Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you redo on your dappered journey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you redo on your dappered journey?

If I could redo my dappered journey it would be to cut down on shoes. In my life there is no need to have the collection that I currently do - I've got 6 pairs that I wear regularly as a part of my rotation and thats it. The other ones just sit there and utilizing them feels forced at times. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to just pick up a pair of AE strands, a brown blucher, a burgundy wingtip and a black captoe. Casual wear would just be some dessert boots and suede bucks. Anyone else feel the same about shoes?

What other things would you redo on your journey?

That's a solid basic shoe collection, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to not buy more shoes (especially at the prices I've gotten them for!). I guess one thing I would do is not keep shoes that don't fit well, because fiddling with insoles and the like only works so much, and if it doesn't you have shoes that aren't comfortable. Even if you got a bargain, it's not worth it. There will always be another deal.

Comment

Yeah... I've got a major shoe problem as well. I've got a basic rotation like you but then additional pairs that I never wear and seem to fulfill some kind of unique purpose... Such as jodhpurs, two-tone saddles, etc..

If I were to go back and do it all over again, I'd have not started at a period when I was in the midst of weight loss. As a result of that decision, I've got a lot of 40R sport coats and suits that I simply can't wear now that I'm at 38R. Moreover, I'd have only bought quality items that I knew I could tailor appropriately, instead of some really awful LEC parachute-volume shirts..

Comment

I bought a lot of mediums in fitted/slim fit before realizing that I'm a small/small tall in extra slim.

Comment

I would have been more picky in terms of fit and quality instead of trying to fill in the "gaps" in my wardrobe so quickly. I have donated many clothes after realizing that they did not fit or that the collar was too small, material was stiff, etc. I don't need a gingham shirt in every single color.

Should I do it over again, I'd have a much smaller wardrobe of mostly American made clothing of high quality. And my wallet would be ok because of my patience.

Comment

I would have slowed down. Sadly you can't go from badly dressed to well dressed overnight. It takes multiple trips to stores and trying on many different brands. The urge is to read some advice columns and then go the next day to the store and buy everything in sight and claim to be well dressed. All you end up with by doing that are slightly better fitting clothes and an empty wallet. It takes time and you need to be patient.

The other thing I would have done differently is purged my closet more regularly. If you only have well fitting quality items in your closet you have no choice but to look good. Mixing your old ill fitting stuff with your new fitted stuff doesn't look good.

Comment

As I'm still starting my journey I think the only thing I would change would be to start sooner.

Comment

Ha, I'm the exact opposite in terms of shoes in that I have WAY too few. I only need to dress up (suit and tie) once every few years(!) so have a pair of black and brown Kenneth Cole dress shoes (unfortunately the blacks are of the square-toe huge rubber sole variety - will have to get some cap-toe oxfords eventually) and my casual shoes are limited to a pair of ratty Puma sneakers (soon to be replaced with PF Flyers if they're comfy enough) and light-green Sauconys. As some of you saw on my first post I also have a pair of hideous Born bowling shoes that will soon be replaced with Clark's desert boots. Will probably also eventually get a pair of dark brown suede oxfords for casual/semi-dressy use but not until next year.

Comment

I'm with the shoes thing, would have rather of saved and got pairs I REALLY liked(eg. Monk straps), rather than ones that are still quite amazing. I find myself prefering to wear my old wrinkled(yet shiney) rockport slip ons if I know I won't be visible much. Comfort just beats looks every time for me, so I really could have grabbed some black bluchers and taken my time finding deals. I jumped in a little too head first, same with shirts I just assumed that chambray wouldn't be see through...also with shirts...BUYING THEM ON SALE because I thought they were a good deal...such as Kenneth Cole ones in Vegas...only to be given away shortly after learning that I can't have polyester in my collection :P

Comment

Working...
                  X