Thoughts on tweed blazers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on tweed blazers

I was thinking about getting a tweed blazer for the fall months - something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harris-Tweed-Mens-Gray-Herringbone-Pure-Wool-Sport-Coat-Blazer-42R-/170848585615?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash =item27c75e878f

thoughts on tweed blazers? thoughts on this blazer?

I, personally, love tweed. That looks to be a very nice blazer all in all. I'm not sure that I would pay $70 (including shipping) for it, however.

Then again, it is in nice condition, is 100% Harris Tweed, and doesn't have a bunch of out of date styling.

I'm on the lookout for a brown one, myself, but I am looking for cheaper prices.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I love tweed too ! That's a nice blazer, I would get it.

Comment

Tweed is awesome and great for the winter.

Just expect slobs and other dim witted, poorly dressed people to call you professor.

Comment

Probably shouldve asked this before but what are some options to wear with tweed (specifically the grey tweed shown)

Comment

My ideal tweed blazer has room enough to layer with sweaters and OCBDs and no tie most of the time. With that grey you have a ton of versatility. I see an off white striped OCBD under a navy v-neck with brownish cords and red wings or wingtip boots.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I have a Harris Tweed blazer that looks identical to that one but with a slightly reddish tinge to it vs. the yellow in yours. I had it tailored to look relatively modern, and I love it in the winter. Not many people still rock the tweed (at least here they dont) so I always get compliments for rocking it. I would go for it, its versatile and you can have a lot of fun pairing with it.

Comment

A tweed blazer pairs well with dark denim, tweed pants in a contrasting/complementing color, and kilts. Wool pants too, but not with patterns like glen plaid. Could do a heavyweight chino (I don't have them, but I think the Bonobos Game Day would do it) in a stone or khaki color. Leather shoes and boots. OCBD shirts.

Comment

This vendor usually has some tweed garments:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=888bates52&_ipg= 50&rt=nc

(I picked up a jacket here for about $15 a couple of months ago.)

Comment

I'm a big fan of tweed especially when it fits well. I've come across a lot of vintage circa 60s or 70s tweed jackets that have a nice tapper in the waist and high arm holes; progressive. Good point @greg_s I have been called professor before when wearing tweed or anything with elbow patches. Still, its a great play for the fall and winter.

Comment

What about if you are in fact a professor? I've always been on guard against looking overly professorial, especially because I'm relatively young (31), so I've steered clear of elbow pads, tweed, and the like.

Comment

you've all convinced me to go for the tweed - just picked up this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-HARRIS-TWEED-Country-Trad-Ivy-Charcoal-Herringbone-Blazer-Jacket-42-R-/320951744274?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash =item4aba36f712

afterthought: there aren't any pictures of the lining so i'm hoping that it's in decent shape. looks good overall minus that one spot on the sleeve but i'm hoping dry cleaning will take care of that

Comment

I picked up a harris tweed blazer a couple of months ago - missing a button and sleeves are too short, but how often do you find a double-vented 36R jacket at crummy Canadian thrift stores? Button stance is reaaaaally low, and the shoulders (while seemingly very lightly padded) are a bit tall for my sloping physique.

I'll take some pictures for advice in the future. Is it typical to leave a tweed jacket roomier for layering, or do you go with your typical blazer/suit jacket cut?

Comment

Working...
                          X