Levi's 501 sizing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Levi's 501 sizing?

I'm about to order my first pair of dark blue/indigo Levi's 501s and am wondering what size to get. Trying them on in person isn't really an option since none of the department stores carry a long enough inseam for my long legs (I'm 6'1 and 210 lbs). My two pairs of existing jeans are Old Navy straight-leg 40x34 - for the most part I like them but they're definitely a bit loose in the waist and a tad loose at the ankle, as well. My measured waist size is 43" but that's perplexing to me since I've never had to wear above a size 40 waist for either jeans or khakis. Are the given waist sizes on a pair of pants always smaller than your actual waist size? Anyway, if anyone can offer any insight into what size of 501s I should aim for, I'd appreciate it. Despite my large waist I do have pretty well-toned legs (they're the one part of my body that are actually somewhat athletic due to all the hiking I have to do for work) so I'm not too concerned about the slim factor - just need to make sure the waist is comfortable and the length is right.

Almost all pants are vanity sized with respect to waist, so no it isn't surprising that you wear measured as a 43 and wear 40....I would get the same size in 501s that you wear with Old Navy. The cut of the jeans will give them the fit that you like, you don't need to mess around with the waist size. Before I found dappered I used to wear ill fitting 32x30 polyester khakis, etc....now that I have found dappered I wear well fitting 32x30 501s....

Comment

Old Navy is the extreme when it comes to vanity sizing. Lately, I measure a 36, and a 34 from old navy is actually very large for me. Whereas, a 35 from Levi's (Shrink to Fit 501 in Rigid) is just about perfect.

I also have a very old pair of 514's in 34 that I fit into, but they have been washed in months..and I'm afraid if I do, I won't be able to squeeze into them. At this point, they are so stretched out, I don't think they count.

Of course, you could just order multiple pairs and send the ones back that don't fit. I think standard policy is to charge $7 for return shipping, but they waived it for me when I did it.

Comment

Jeez, neither Zappo's nor the Levi's website have Dimensional or Clean Rigid in my size (40x34). What's the deal? Do they refresh inventory only a few times a year, or am I going to have to wait awhile?

Comment

501's are intended to be shrunk (http://501xx.info/blog/501_shrink_to_fit/). Therefore, you're encouraged to buy them larger than you would expect. This will make your journey even more difficult, unfortunately. I would recommend a 42 x 36. They have them at Macy's.

Comment

Not all 501s are shrink to fit. Only 501xx, regular 501s are not....Matt you might also want to check out the 505s, they have a similar fit to the 501s.

levis.com just run a big 40% off sale...so most of their sizes in popular 501 and 505 colors are gone (I ordered 4 pairs, for instance and ended up spending ~$100).

Comment

Doh. CaliProf is 100% correct. Sorry - I had no intention of misleading you!

I'm just ignorant.

Comment

Levis.com has the Rigid Shrink to Fit in your size (assuming 44x34). Look under Big and Tall for the longer lengths.

Note that they recommend you buy a larger size than what you would normally wear...considering they shrink. I disregarded that advice and bought a 35 anyway. After washing and hang drying, they fit perfectly.

I did order mine about an inch longer though, to account for any loss of length from shrinkage (stop giggling...just so immature), so you might want to consider 44x36.

Comment

You might be surprised to discover you're actually a 32, depending in the break you're looking for. I always bought 34 inseams until recently (I'm 6'1") and now buy 32. Worth trying out to see how they work.

Comment

Matt, I bought 501s with a 34 inseam from Macy's in DC a couple of years ago - from recollection they weren't really in short supply - I certainly tried them in a couple of different shades. (38x34)

Even if they don't have the right inseam length for you, it is probably still worth trying for waist size and style in store to get that right - if you need a longer leg than they have instore, it's going to make it a lot easier to get everything right on-line.

Comment

Working...
                    X