Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cole Haan Paul chukkas or Clarks desert boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cole Haan Paul chukkas or Clarks desert boot?

I'm trying to decide between these two. Anyone have experience with either? Which one do you think is more versatile? Which one would go better with jeans, or chinos, etc? The CH usually run about $80 more but with Nordstrom's anniversary sale, they are about the same price at the moment so that is not a concern.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/cole-haa...esultback=7236

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/clarks-o...=&resultback=0

Both look great, looks like the CH's might be a touch more formal due to the sole/heel and shape. I think both will work wonderfully with anything in your wardrobe.

I'm a big CH fan but have never owned a pair of Clarks...

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I generally prefer the sleeker shapes of chukkas over the desert boot, Clark's or not. The thicker, lighter sole & the less sleek shape of the desert boot puts it on the very casual scale. I think the CH is more versatile between the two.

Comment

I have the same pair of Clarks and love them. I like the character that the leather eventually develops. I usually wear them with dark denim or chinos. The CH's are nice too but I've never owned a pair.

Comment

I like the CH a little better myself...but if you want to save money, you could find the Clarks cheaper somewhere else online. I looked it up on Amazon and saw the same color for around $75

Comment

They're both casual, but versatile shoes. I just got a pair of Clark's in Beeswax (today is my first time wearing them). Beware that at first, they are not very comfy. The leather is fairly thick and stiff. This is especially apparent at the top of the boot where it hits the ankle, but maybe that's just me. I already love the look of the leather, and it appears that it will develop a really cool look as it wears. They are definitely more rounded in the toe and the sole is noticeably thick, adding to their casual nature.

As for the CH's, I've never seen that model. The sole looks thinner, but the leather doesn't look quite as nice. Also, the contrast sole adds to the informality.

On a related note, I just got back from a trip to Nordstrom Rack. I saw Clarks Bushacre, which is exactly like the Original but with a rubber (vibram?) sole instead of a crepe sole. I also saw some Cole Haan Pauls in suede (this model, I believe). They were both $70.

Also, Amazon has the Clark's for around $75, depending on your size. Mine were only $77.

Comment

I just literally came back from buying the Pauls at Nordstroms. I have five pairs of Clarks (Desert Boots & Bushacres) but all in suede and have always been in the "Why mess with other chukkas, just go for the orginals" camp. Plus, I've kind of always disliked Cole Haan.

So why did I get the Pauls? Well, I'll be honest and say that I thought they had Air soles. After looking again though, I guess they don't. Regardless, I am going on a trip and there will be a lot of walking and these seem more comfortable than Clarks. They run a tad narrow but otherwise fit and I think will stretch to be perfect. The leather on the Paul is a little bit rougher, than a Clarks in leather, but I think will hold up better to trampsing around cities and taking public transportation. Rubber sole was a must for me with all the walking I'm going to be doing + possibility of rain.

Comparing the two, I think the Paul is much sleeker. And while I could probably afford to size down a little in my Clarks, they feel downright clunky compared to these.

Comment

Clark's... Gotta stay OG

Comment

I stopped by Nordstrom a few hour earliers 'just to try them on'. They didn't have the Clark's in beeswax but I tried them on anyways to get a feel for them. I also tried the cole haans on with no real expectations of buying them. I walked out of there with the cole haans. They are really comfortable and much dressier looking than I expected. The CH were really sleek whereas the Clark's were clunky in comparison. The CH will work really well with chinos or dressier jeans. The problem is that I was looking for casual shoes to wear with jeans and a t-shirt. Plus the CH look so nice that I'd feel bad wearing them in the mud, snow, rain, etc. so I might still end up ordering the Clark's from amazon since I now at least know my size in them.

Comment

vicious - what size do you wear in clarks?

Comment

I would say that these Sperry Desert Boots would be another solid option and a bonus for being way more comfortable than Clarks for long distance walking.

http://www.zappos.com/sperry-top-sid...y?zfcTest=fw:0

Comment

I'm a 10 in nikes, a 9.5 in BR and most other shoes, but a 9 in the Clark's.

Kevin - thanks for adding even more to my confusion. Those do look nice though.

Comment

Got it. Reason why I was asking is because I was at Nordstrom last chance today and I saw a bunch of Clark's beeswax there I think for $40

Comment

Yeah, its pretty standard to go down one size in desert boots/bush acres. I got a size 9.5 in the Paul chukkas and usually wear a 9 in the Clarks, but they are somewhat loose and I could probably move down to an 8.5 in the Clarks for a tighter fit. The Pauls felt a little narrow at first but I wore them out last night and again to work this morning and they feel perfect.

In case you don't know, you also get a pair of regular brown laces in the box with the Pauls, if red isn't your style. And it came with a little info card about Cole Haan's recrafting service. Shoes are made in India.

Comment

I tried the Paul's in 9 first and while they were fine length wise, they felt too tight. I swapped them out for a 9.5 and they feel much more comfortable. Mine came with the extra brown laces as well. I thought them including that was a nice touch.

Comment

Working...
                              X