Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bvaghela
    replied

i actually kinda like the jacket originally posted. the buttons and inside of the hood are nice details - the only thing is that i'm thinking the toggle style might be a trend so i dont know if you'll be wearing this next year? (i've recently been schooled on the difference between trends and style here on the dappered threads so i'm trying to apply to my potential purchases lol)

Leave a comment:

• guiltybystander
    replied

That could work- I think I was just sort of toying with the idea of the first jacket since I like having a lighter, waterproof jacket for the spring/summer. What I really need (later on) is a nice trenchcoat that can go over suits etc.

I think I need to just stop spending money! Hehe.

Leave a comment:

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    replied

What about a thinner, nylon type of anorak that looks a little sporty?

Leave a comment:

• guiltybystander
    replied

Wow, BenR, good find and good suggestions! I was hoping to get something a little lighter in color (maybe even different from all the navy in my closet) and with a few details (less than my original posting though)!

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=48872&vid=1&pid=244514&scid=2445140 02

$60ish with the current 30% discount. Hard to tell how heavy it is, but it doesn't look lined. You can always beef up the waterproofness yourself with a treatment of Nikwax or Granger's. Hood zips off.

Leave a comment:

• guiltybystander
    replied

Hi everyone, thanks for your feedback! To clarify, what I already have is a waxed cotton jacket (for fall/winter for sure). The one I was on the fence about is regular cotton/nylon blend. I definitely couldn't wear something heavier than that in summer - especially in the South.

I decided to hold off for now. I liked BenR's suggestions for a more technical jacket, but wanted something a bit more dressed up, which is why I was contemplating the jacket I posted.

@Jessy- if and when I do get something, I'll let ya know!

Leave a comment:

• jessy_diamond
    replied

I like it, but I agree there's too much going on. I'm also looking (not actively though) for a lightweight summer/spring jacket.

If you find anything else, I would be interested in seeing your picks.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

Strikes me as having too many doodads. Also, waxed cotton tends to be a pretty heavy and not particularly breathable material, so I'm not sure it will serve you well for summer wear in the Deep South. If you need a rain jacket, I'd stick with something simple and lightweight in nylon, polyester, or a nylon/cotton blend. My go-to summer rain jacket is a Patagonia Torrentshell in dark grey - it's a very simple jacket and the conservative color helps prevent it looking too "technical" or gear-like.

If you're just looking for a lightweight jacket, I'd recommend looking at something in shirt-weight cotton.

Leave a comment:

• Deke
    replied

I dig it, but I agree it looks a little heavy for summer (especially in Georgia). I think it would like sharp on a rainy fall day though.

Leave a comment:

• guiltybystander
    replied

Hi Trash- I live in Atlanta where it's mostly hot now with some rain. Yeah, it's a little busy to me too. I don't know how heavyweight it is, but it is probably lighter than my flannel-sleeve lined waxed cotton parka which I don't get to wear much but in the fall/winter. I do have a nylon Scotch and Soda jacket which I've used for rain and it works well (though no hood) and also in navy.

I think my problem is I love navy too much and need to get some color diversity! Thanks- I'm probably going to pass on this jacket.

Leave a comment:

• trash
    replied

A bit busy for my tastes, I feel like I'm seeing a lot of jackets like this one with the pockets and fasteners all over the place. It looks a bit heavy for spring/summer, then again I don't know where you live. What about a simple windbreaker or varsity jacket?

Leave a comment:

• guiltybystander
    started a topic Should I Buy This?

Should I Buy This?

Submitted for your consideration:

Any thoughts on this? I already have a heavier waxed cotton rain jacket in navy by Heritage Research but it's often way too warm to wear in summer/spring.

http://under2flags.com/shop/category-1/all/woven-jacket-rain-coat.html

Are the toggles/buttons too busy or nice accents?

Working...
X