X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason1141
    replied
    Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post
    Think I might check out a pair of Fort Knocks. My William Rast wayfarers are on their last legs and I can't seem to find them anywhere to re-buy. Really bummed as the shape and size was the perfect ideal for me.

@Jason1141...saw the piece on Luxottica, very interesting but also distressing. Talk about monopoly...
    @Sigtweed Corduroy The monopoly luxottica has is ridiculous. Its the same as supporting a local business- I support smaller companies. Horizon Sunglasses Saratogas are legit though. I bought their matte black/smoke (http://www.horizonsunglasses.com/Mat...matblk-smo.htm)

I know that feeling when you find something you really like and fits you perfect, then they break or you lose them! I hate that.

Leave a comment:

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    replied

Think I might check out a pair of Fort Knocks. My William Rast wayfarers are on their last legs and I can't seem to find them anywhere to re-buy. Really bummed as the shape and size was the perfect ideal for me.

@Jason1141...saw the piece on Luxottica, very interesting but also distressing. Talk about monopoly...

Leave a comment:

• wmuhaplo
    replied

I have a smaller head as I'm a skinny 5-10" and love my premiums. I have 4 pair and especially live my shiny tortoise shell. I got crazy once and ordered the Fort Knox.....they were way too big and I had to give them away. Fact is, no man can keep sunglasses for longer than 1.6 summers. You'll break them, lose them, or the famous slide off the top of your head while looking down into the water over the side of the boat. Just get them, they are only 15 and you'll never be too hung up when you lose them. Again, huge fan here.

Leave a comment:

• Jason1141
    replied

I found an alternative to knockarounds. Horizon Sunglasses seems to offer the same sunglasses and same exactly quality but you they are cheaper. I was able to design my own sunglasses for alot less with Horizon Sunglasses and their shipping is cheaper too. They even have a custom sunglasses creator tool (http://www.horizonsunglasses.com/pro...sunglasses.htm) I've been pleased with them and glad to know there is another alternative to expensive raybans. Did anyone see the 60 minutes special on luxottica?

Leave a comment:

• MarkB
    replied

Not to hijack the thread, but I came across Horizon sunglasses while researching this very same question. They basically look/cost exactly the same, but their logo is MUCH smaller. I'm personally gonna try the Horizons purely for the fact that they are a Florida based company (although the shades are probably made in China). I'm gonna order them soon and review them in this thread when they arrive.

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied

I agree with Manceptional; I've never yet, & don't plan on buying sunglasses that I'll be too upset about breaking. Nothing against anyone who spends $100 on sunglasses, but it's not my style.

Leave a comment:

• Manceptional
    replied

I think most of you are being waaaay too critical for a pair of $30 glasses. I have an expensive pair of Serengetti's that are absolutely awesome but don't look great with a suit so i recently picked up a $30 pair of navigator's from Nordstrom that I love and don't worry about too much (think I might have discovered them here actually). There is a LOT to be said for a pair of glasses you can toss in your pocket.

Leave a comment:

• NYCToon
    replied

I have a few pairs of the Fort Knocks and I can not understate how amazing they are for the price. I wear them more than my Ray Bans now. They are expecially great for us guys with larger heads (read larger brains or more empty space) who find the Wayfarers a bit tight.

I've lost them sailing and have even sat on them before and just get a new pair. They are on huckberry.com every few months and you get get them for even cheaper then. I usually wait and restock at those times.

Leave a comment:

• jessejulius
    replied

I had the Tortoise Shell Fort Knocks for about 2 years before I lost them (beach trip). Held up to regular use. I think they are a little bigger than other sunglasses. I have a rounder face so they fit me well.

I also recently bought the Mile Highs. I thought they would replace my Ray Ban Aviators. Unfortunately, they can't. Too small. But they might fit a slimmer sunglasses wearer. I ended up giving them to my sister.

1st post! Looks like a great community. I have a lot to learn.

Leave a comment:

• Jeremy B.
    replied

That logo on the arm of the glasses is hideous.

Leave a comment:

• ravi
    replied

I saw their Facebook ad two years ago and bought a pair of premiums, which started to crack after a week, and finally broke after 2 months (and more cracks in other places). A few of my friends bought them as well, but theirs all broke within 3 weeks of normal wear.

Leave a comment:

• thatmikey
    replied

I ordered two pairs this summer to be well my knockaround pair of shades, for the beach and such.

The premiums left a lot to be desired. They were kinda small on the face and flimsy. But the color options do make it pretty cool. and you can rub off the knockaround logo on the side of the arm pretty easy. I got the chocolate brown and they to have more of a purplish hue to them in person.

The fort knocks were surprisingly awesome for the price. Nice strong hinges and a decent heft to them. You do have the kind of obnoxious raised logo on the side but I can live with it. I got the smoke grey frames and I'm pretty happy with them.

For the price I'll probably order another pair of fort knocks come next summer to be my "knock around" sunglasses.

Leave a comment:

• walterlucas
    replied

Really that Knockaround sunglasses is cheap, imagine if you buy branded type of that style, perhaps it will cost around $200.

Leave a comment:

• EF
    replied

I ordered them after seeing them on Primer Magazine a long while ago, they were too big for my face.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

I have a pair of Knockaround Fort Knocks from a while back (the tortie variant). They are pretty decent for the $25... better than the basic plastic sunglasses you will find in most retail stores. But at the end of the day, they are still just inexpensive plastic sunglasses. Don't buy them expecting more than that.

They're a bit on the large side. Mine are almost too big for my face. Fortunately they are very lightweight.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X