McTavish's arrived today....damaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McTavish's arrived today....damaged

purchased via Nordstrom sale, drop shipped straight from AE. Not happy. Right shoe was loose, out of shoe bag. Right shoe has minor but unacceptable damage in multiple areas and other qc issues that can't be explained from being loose. Left shoe was okay.

Now I'm going to need to drive the hour each way to a Nordstrom just to return/exchange these...

There was a large discussion on /r/FrugalMalefashion/ about how lots of people suspect that seconds were being sold during the nordstrom sale.

Comment

I wouldn't doubt it...

Comment

I was actually thinking about ordering the McTavish tonight but given this thread and what Jordan said I think I'll hold off.

Comment

I look forward to hearing AE lecture you about last and if you'd like to order more, give them a call. You're satisfaction is their priority :P (I'm a bit snippy about that still heh)

If it makes you feel any better, I was half in the bag when I ordered shoes from Herring and completely ignored the fact they were in pounds and not euros(just finished looked at shoepassion) so my delivery and duties were much higher than I thought....they better fit like nothing i've ever experienced.

Comment

Interesting. Did you get them in tan? I just opened my box today, same story, and the burnishing on the shoe looks pretty uneven. I'm talking nearly black inky spots on the leather near the laces. I looked for obvious signs that they were seconds or whatever but couldn't find any. Pretty sure that they're regular stock, just weird. I'm wondering if it's just the natural/rough finish and I'm being overly touchy, which is a distinct possibility.

Comment

Can you spot the mistake?

This leather is physically loose.

Nice notch in the welt

Comment

Hmm...not sure what I'm supposed to see. My AE's have a notch in the welt, presumably from the stitching process.

Comment

That notch in the welt is really common. I've seen it in tons of AE firsts.

Comment

agree with NC. The notch is normal and can be found on a lot other brands that use goodyear welting. The 1st pic could knock it down to 2nd quality tho

Comment

That tan spot is a chunk physically missing from the edge of the welt. I'm not talking about the small notches that are present throughout the welt due to the stitching. It's a chunk physically missing (actually I think you can see the chunk resting on the welt itself. Such a chunk is not missing from my Elgins or Hillcrests.

If this is normal, and I'm not liable to get much better a second time around, I'll keep them. It would cost $20 in gas to return them...

Comment

Do you have an AE store any closer? They may do an exchange for you.

Comment

I have a couple pairs of AE shoes with the Goodyear welt, and they have a solitary notch somewhere on the back three-quarters of the sole. I think it has to do with the manufacturing process. If you have other problems, by all means, return or exchange, but I'm just letting you know the notch is normal.

Comment

Yup, I'm pretty sure that notch is there as a place to start or end the stitching. Oddly some of my shoes have it and some don't, but it's very common. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Comment

you could take a wood marker or black permanent marker and fill that in, in 2 seconds and not waste 20$ in gas. It would never be noticed unless someone was on their hands and knees inspecting your shoe.

Comment

Working...
                              X