Red Wing Iron Rangers and Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots -- sizing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Wing Iron Rangers and Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots -- sizing question

I tried searching the forum for a previous thread that directly addressed this question, but I didn't find one. As such:

I've heard that people typically size down one full size with Red Wing Iron Rangers, but I'm seeing mixed advice on the Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots (the "flagship" 1000 Mile model). Can anybody out there clear this up for me?

FWIW, I typically wear a size 9.0 in dress shoes and hiking boots and a 9.5 in Nikes (and a handful of other shoes). For a truly accurate fit, I should be wearing a 9 C in most shoes, but finding something in a C width is a tall order -- and more to the point, the two styles in question aren't made in a C width.

So, with all that in mind -- particularly the narrow foot thing -- what do you think would be my size in the Iron Ranger and the 1000 Mile Boot? Obviously, the best option would be to try on several pairs of each, but I'm not within reasonable proximity to any retailers that would have either of them.

In light of that, I'm going to have to try my best at guessing my size for an online order, preferably from a place with free returns. While I'm not averse to returning an ill-fitting boot, I'd like to at least get in the right ballpark before placing an order.

What do you think?

@Bulldoggery,

I own the Wolverine 1000 Mile boots. I wear a 9.5D in most dress shoes, 10D in New Balances and Nikes.

For the 1k Boots, I'd recommend sizing down a HALF size. Mine are a 9.5D and are a little long. They fit me perfectly when I wear my super thick winter socks, but with dress socks, there's extra room.

Also, I feel like they run a tad narrow, which is to your benefit.

Comment

Glen --

Outstanding, thanks for the feedback. If the 1000 Mile Boots really do run narrow, that's a huge feature in their favor as I try to choose between them and the Iron Rangers.

I do like the cap-toe look of the Iron Rangers (and the way they look with denim, as illustrated by Mr. Jack Nicholson here: http://denimhunters.com/lifestyle/fiveeasypieces ). But their coated-cork soles and the likelihood that they run wider than those Wolverines both have me leaning toward the 1000 Mile Boots.

I've gotten some guidance on another forum, and it sounds fairly unanimous that the 1000 Mile Boots typically run only half a size large. I'm going to try my best to find a reasonably local retailer so I can try them on in person -- I sincerely thank you for helping me to narrow things down based on your experience.

Comment

@bulldoggery, I can't say enough about my iron rangers. I sized down a half size in mine and don't find them overly wide. With heavier socks there's no issues.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@Bulldoggery,

You're welcome.

In terms of deciding between the 2, it's a really tough call. They look so similar.

Also FYI, Wolverine 1K's come in a cap toe design as well. Iron Rangers can also come in a plain-toe.

They Iron Rangers lean slightly towards "work boot" with their grippier sole while the Wolverine 1K's lean slightly towards "hybrid work/dress" boot with their leather sole. Both will break in wonderfully. Both will age beautifully.

The decision came easy for me. I researched long and hard for several months (years)... and then bought the cheapest one I could find (Wolverine 1K at Nordstrom Rack for $99).

Comment

If I ever saw either of these boots new for $99, I'd buy them without a moment's hesitation...your Nordstrom Rack find was an all-timer!

Comment

$99? Wow. I thought finding my Addisons for $250 was a good deal.

Comment

It was an extremely lucky find. That same day, at a different Nordy Rack (don't ask why I hit up 3 Racks in 2 days...) I found Ralph Lauren Made in USA loafers that retail for $495 for $75.

I found a pair of AE Player's Wingtips in Walnut for $150. 1 size too big. Left it for the next lucky, 10.5D sized fellow.

Moral of the story is, treat The Rack like a very expensive thrift store. Look for ridiculous deals, but be prepared to leave with absolutely nothing. Often.

Comment

The closest Nordstrom Rack to me is almost 2 hours away. Bit far to drive to find nothing. Admittedly I've driven 2Ā½ hours to eat lunch, but in my defense the sandwiches are amazing.

Comment

My closest Nordstrom Rack is about 45 minutes north of here, but it may very well be worth visiting on at least a monthly basis.

I really had no idea those places ever had deals like THAT -- the two times I've been to the one near me, I found a handful of "better than retail" deals, but nothing that jumped out at me.

After your encouraging stories, I'll keep trying...

Comment

My closest one is 1 hour away but it's on my way to work which is 1 hour 15 minutes away.

I just hit up the Rack whenever I visit friends/family in different cities. For instance, Seattle's had dozens upon dozens of AE shoes for $219. My local store only has 3 or 4 in total.

Comment

Working...
                      X