Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runners n jeans
    replied

I used to wear running shoes all the time and didn't even know what kind of other shoes existed out there beyond black dress shoes.

This might help you get a visual of what to replace those with in terms of casual shoes: http://www.effortlessgent.com/back-to-basics-choosing-a-casual-shoe/

I'll second the advice to approach it patiently. Start with your shoes and work from there. You can't go wrong with navy socks so don't go out buying all kinds of colorful, patterned socks (just yet). You can't go wrong with straight leg, non-dad jeans denim (Tumbled Rigid for Levi's 501).

You'll make some of the same mistakes on the way like we've all done. But enjoy the process.

By the way, as you look at nicer shoes (in appearance, quality, construction, etc.), you'll develop a sense of what generally looks like a nice shoe. Then you'll rue the day you thought those were good looking shoes worthy of saving

Leave a comment:

• Kittiwake30
    replied

I was in stitches reading some of the responses here. Most all of us have been in your shoes - no pun intended - when we make those tentative first steps to dressing better. I had a similar pair of Doc Martins on full duty and had to call in an exocist to get rid of them.

This whole style thing is like a buffet, you can choose what you like. I saw you mentionend feeling Dappered was geared toward a younger man, but there are some dinosaurs here like myself in the late 30s who still find it an invaluable resource. A lot of the focus here is on choices with a timeless quality and you can never go wrong with that. Yes, you may want to skip some of the more youthful choices and trendy accessories like bracelets lest you look to be knee-deep in mid-life crisis. The thing about Dappered that seperates it from other sites is that it focuses on style on a budget. You have to remember that many of the other sites are frequented by people who have robust clothing budgets or devote most their disposable income to their wardrobe.

You have a job that also affords you a lot of freedom for a certain look with things like cords, khakis, sportcoats with texture and quality botos you can rough up (Timberland earthkeepers and red wings spring to mind.)

Like others have said, don't run out and prime your credit card. Take time to look around, establish a budget, make a list. My closet is filled with loitering junk I bought on impulse when I started to transform how I dressed. Get good staples and focus on clothes that fit. There's a difference betweeen fit and tight. You'll find plenty of good advice and direction from a helpful community here.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied

I will vouch for the magnanni black cap toes in there, I'm pretty sure those are what I got(I bought on ebay so not %100) but they are very comfy, seem to be built very well.

And that is a great link I never saw it before, no target in Canada but they have some LE/LEC links etc.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

That's good advice, bruschetta. And you know how much it hurts for me to agree with you so often.

I would marinate in the $1500 wardrobe series: http://dappered.com/tag/1500-wardrobe/

And watch the WIWT thread to see a variety of looks you like and can draw from.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied

Matt, I agree with previous posters in that the shoes should be tossed, or kept only as hiking or house shoes. They are truly hideous.

That being said, I recommend starting slow. It's easy to spend a lot of money to improve your wardrobe before you've developed a sense of your own style. I recommend refraining from a purchase until you have a clear image of your ideal self in mind.

Also, from what I've picked up I gather that you're happily married with a wonderful job. You seem to be doing something right! Don't stress out over your appearance.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied

I thought it was socks match shoes rule heh.

Anyways it depends, if you're wearing a walnut/tan colour shoe I personally think solid vibrant colours look very very nice.

Just don't do something like yellow shoes, green socks.

Leave a comment:

• matt2
    replied

@greg - Those socks are actually dark navy. I've been following the "socks should match your pants" rule, although I guess that's not so much a hard and fast rule anymore. Not that I'll wear these shoes much more, but what color socks would you wear with brown shoes and jeans? Gray? Plain brown? Argyle? Again, still trying to get a feel for this stuff. Unfortunately my sock drawer is now filled to the brim with navy socks since I wear jeans to work pretty much every day (when I'm not in the field, that is).

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied

I'd say suede bucks might be a good to toe the line between casual and still looking dressed up. A nice gray, tan/sand, or brown color would be nice. I'm partial to gray myself. Some good cheap choices are the Florsheim No String Wing (wingtip suede brogue bucks, and they do come w/ strings) and on the very cheap end Bass and Bostonian make bucks for around $35-65 that seem nice and light. I've tried on some Bass bucks at Marshalls and they were really nice, and only around $30! I second waiting on the eBay thing!

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

As NC said you've come to the right place because people here will tell you what you need to hear, but they aren't assholes. If you look under the "shoes" tag and read through some of the previous threads, there is some good info. The search function on the forum isn't great so it can get tedious, but it's worth it, IMO.

Also, if you are new to this, I'd wait on the eBay thing. Try shoes on in person to start.

Leave a comment:

• matt2
    replied

Thanks for the tough love, guys. ;-) As you can see, I'm pretty new to this men's style thing. Looks like I'll have to be buying those Clark's (or similar) sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyappleseed
    replied

Also, I gotta add that it is more customary to wear brown belts and brown shoes and then black with black

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied

There's a few decent brands you can find on ebay.

Magnanni

Mezlan

Salvatore Fergammo

Allen Edmonds

Johnston and Murphy(lowest of the 5 but still not bad)

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

What Nicholas said. Those need to go my man. A casual office allows for a cheap upgrade to a variety of shoes. Also, those socks are awful black looking for those brown shoes...

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

You've come to the right place. Everything's going to be okay. But you're gonna have to put those shoes down and back away slowly. That style has come and gone.

Clarks, chukkas, boat shoes like Sperry Top Siders should be on your list.

Also consider nicer shoes like Allen Edmonds with their Elgin and Neumoks.

Leave a comment:

• mixto
    replied

That one got to go in the extinct list.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X