Newbie question regarding thrifted suits/blazers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question regarding thrifted suits/blazers

I am just starting to upgrade my style and have a questions regarding the use of a suit jacket separate from the pants. I was at Goodwill today and saw a charcoal BB jacket. It fits perfectly in the shoulders and sleeves, the waist would need to be brought in which my tailor has done with great success on another of my jackets. My question is, since the pants are not with the jacket is this worth buying? It had a slightly rougher texture (100% wool, but not tweed) and even some slight heathering, shoulder pads are minimal and it is half-lined ( perfect for Florida I would imagine). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Countryside Man of Letters

A charcoal jacket would be tough to wear as a separate...you just don't see that. Same with black.

But a navy jacket that looks like a blazer or an unstructured cotton suit jacket could work on it's own. I'm pretty open to that, but a lot of folks would say to only wear it as a suit, which I disagree with.

So, if I'm pretty open to that, and I don't think it would work, I would definitely pass up on the charcoal.

Comment

Ok. That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to get another (more experienced) opinion. So gray/charcoal is no a common blazer color either? It was $7 and in mint condition, otherwise I probably wouldn't have even tried it on.

Comment

Charcoal is probably a no go, but lighter gray sportcoats are definitely fine (i'd say medium gray to light... i.e., grays you wouldn't call charcoal). Charcoal just is more of a suit color than someone one pairs with different color pants.

Comment

I try to find an excuse to post this picture every week...so thanks for this opportunity.

I'm wearing the suit jacket from my Indochino Essential Gray suit with jeans.

Comment

That's the color jacket I'm really trying to find, but I haven't had any luck. IMO the navy blazer with dark jeans looks sorta funny. Unfortunately, the blazer from Target is way too long (5'9" ~190, 42/33), so I have problems finding jackets that don't come in exact sizes. Any reasonable options, for a casual blazer to be worn with jeans mostly?

Comment

No silver bullet on that front. I would just try tons of stuff on. Buying new from Brooks Brothers would be the easiest but most expensive. Thrifting would be the hardest but cheapest. Can try perusing the mall/department stores for a middle of the road route. Casual jackets have a looser definition of fit, which is good, because they're often difficult to tailor.

Comment

As others have said, I think a suit jacket can work, but you have to look for the fit/details.

More sportcoat/blazerlike:

- shorter length

- patch pockets

- navy or light grey

- slimmer cut

- make sure the bottom of your jacket, below the second button, kind of makes a "V". Some larger fitting suit coats will have almost no spread here (not sure what this is called... the quarters?)

Orphan suit warning

- striped anything

- black, charcoal

Not sure on ticket pockets - I think of them more as an informal suit thing, though I suspect they would be fine on a blazer

Comment

Working...
                X