How to wear red pants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to wear red pants

I recently bought a pair of red chino's from Bonobos (http://www.bonobos.com/store/item/redrums-straight-leg). I was wondering what it the best wear to wear them beyond pairing with a white shirt. Any suggesstions?

Any neutral colored shirt in a solid or a pattern, as long as the pattern is not too crazy. Even then, if you have the balls, go crazy with your patterns (I, personally, do not). Solid light blue, solid chambray (you may look like the 4th of July, but hey), black gingham, navy gingham, light blue checks, light lavender checks, light blue bengal stripe. There are many possibilities.

If you're going with a white OCBD spice it up with a navy blazer and a paisley pocket square. For this time of the year I'd go with a lavender or light blue square.

BTW, link doesn't work.

Comment

how about a pique polo with a white or gray crew underneath? i personally like a dark navy or heather gray - something neutral to let the pants stand out.

Comment

I agree with Albert 100%, everything he mentioned is a perfect look.

I actually have a pair of go to hell's from LEC http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/SlimFi...-Men-_-Bottoms , I wore them with light tan suede boat shoes, and white RRL V-neck tshirt, picnic date with the wife...I think i am gonig to wear it next with this blue check shirt from J Crew and blue boat shoes...yea, i am from boston so i pretty much wear boat shoes all summer sans sock...dont judge me lol...

with that said pair with boat shoes lol...and you'll kill the competition...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
        I>0<I

Comment

Maxman and I are going to start our own style consulting agency. lol.

Comment

I've got two pairs of red pants. I wear them all the time and have for years. Might seem crazy, but I love wearing them with other colorful clothes. On patriotic holidays, I wear them with white shoes and blue shirts (okay--those days it's a costume). I wear them with green, white, gray, khaki--any color shirt.

I cropped the heck out of this photo to protect identities but here's an outfit I wore a few years ago: http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1131147_n.jpg

Florida boy trying to figure out how to handle cold weather up there.

Most importantly--don't look like a clown, but wearing colorful trousers (I have so many fun pairs) is really more about attitude. Like many other 'out there' pieces of clothing, if you wear it and don't let it wear you, you should be good.

Edit: And for Maxman: those are boat shoes

Comment

@Albert Seriously! LOL, but stylish people tend to think alike and bring others along, thats why i love this ad hoc forum...and @MagM i noticed...well done...out of curiousity, why the overcoat? DO you wear your go to hells' in after the summer?

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
              I>0<I

Comment

I do. I was in Oslo and it was just about as cold as I've ever had to deal with. I kept seeing people in red jackets and figured I might give red pants a shot for winter wear. I love the red pants with black coat--one of my favorite winter pairings, albeit unconventional.

Comment

I own that pair. I've worn it with a navy polo, a chocolate brown tee, and a heathered gray v neck tee. Cream might work well here too.

I like dark rich colors, and they tend to work well with bright trousers. With something as bright as redrums, I like to anchor it with something muted but rich on top.

Usually with cognac boat shoes from J.D. Fisk. Light to medium brown shoes would work too.

Comment

with a light blue shirt and the swagger of a frenchman

Comment

The parentheses around the link mess it up. Edit those out when you get the chance to fix it, since the link is trying to include those mistakingly.

@Ben Thus, I can't do it, but those who can are a marvel.

Comment

To a UGA home game in Athens

Comment

Great buy! I picked up a pair as well recently and love them--they're honestly a lot more versatile than I would have expected. Pairs great with a light-colored oxford cloth button down (Joe posted one from LL Bean Signature a few weeks ago that'd go perfect), heathered grey v-necks, long-sleeve grey henley, anything light blue, and looks awesome with polos. Definitely a preppier pant, but if you've got the right 'tude these pants can be real workhorses for you. As for shoes, these go great with boatshoes, white or cream-colored canvas sneakers, or dressier oxfords in light shades of brown (AE Strands in walnut!).

As soon as you step out wearing red pants, you're "that guy," but if you don't wear them too often and have the 'tude to pull 'em off they're great--trust me, you'll get compliments! Also, I really like the suggestions about not putting them away as the weather gets cold--I intend to wear mine well into Fall, bringing some color to my fall wardrobes which mostly rely on shades of navy and grey. Let us know how they work for you!

Comment

Working...
                          X