How dark should a navy suit be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How dark should a navy suit be?

Just picked up a navy chalk stripe suit off of eBay. (Banana Republic Tailored cut for quite a steal)

Upon receiving it, I put it side by side with one of my other suits, most notably a charcoal pinstripe. I find it quite hard to differentiate the color between the two.

Being as this was my first navy suit, should it be that dark? I cannot picture this suit being worn with dark brown shoes like most other navy suits.

"We had a sick night b*tches!"

Leslie, that dark navy is perfectly fine. It's the traditional, conservative shade of navy.

Comment

A majority of navy suits will be nearing the point of black/charcoal dark. Navy blazers occasionally you'll get a bit more in the way of blue hues, and more fashion-forward suits will sometimes go very blue. You're definitely fine if you like the suit.

Comment

I gather that black shoes would be more fitting for the dark conservative navy as opposed to say oxblood or some similar dark brown shoes?

Comment

I think oxblood is a wonderful option. It will set you apart from the getgo.

Comment

The trend leans to the darker. If you get too bright, you would look like something out of the 1980s.

As an aside, I really want a midnight navy tux.

Comment

I still wear dark brown with my navy, and sometimes even a (little darker than) walnut color shoe I have when I'm going business casual / no tie. I'm relatively anti-black anything, but that's just personal preference and my very small rebellious gesture in my otherwise suited up legal world (sometimes with, gasp, colored/patterned socks!).

Debating my next shoe... I have good brown and black captoes, so I'm thinking either a walnut strand to replace/upgrade the lighter brown shoes I have, or possibly some oxblood color shoes. Maybe both, we'll see about the sales later this year

Comment

Darker is the much safer option....that being said, there's room in your wardrobe for a lighter blue suit - I really like this one from TheStyleBlogger - I'd wear it with dark brown shoes instead of black ones though:

http://www.thestyleblogger.com/wp-co...y3-580x871.jpg

Comment

If you only have one then lean towards a darker shade. I agree with kronak though that a lighter/bluer shade can look awesome. suit supply does a great shade (minus the huge lapel).

My cocktail videos >

Comment

If you can't differentiate your navy suit from your charcoal suit (no matter how dark either one is), then either your navy suit is not really navy, or your charcoal suit is not really charcoal.

Comment

Chareth, it's not that I cannot differentiate. It's that it takes a bit longer to see.

I guess it just gives me an excuse to buy another suit! I feel like Barney Stinson when I go out with friends...

Comment

Working...
                      X