Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here have a hard time buying watches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here have a hard time buying watches?

I've been wearing the same watch for about 10 years that my father gave to me. It's very basic and no frills but is suitable in professional and casual environments. For some reason it feels wrong to get another watch to wear outside the one my father gave me even tho the watch featured today looks tempting. Anyone else feel the same?

I didnt have a hard time buying one watch, but it is my first automatic. Having the time be off if you don't wear the watch often is incredibly annoying...so I can't imagine rotating watches several times a week and having to constantly reset them.

Comment

When I perused the watchuseek forums, I got the sense that those guys buy watches like I buy shoes

Yeah I've got a few watches that I didn't pay for and I have a hard time buying one of my own. Part of it is that I have yet to develop a taste for what I like in a watch, its appearance, features that I want, etc. and a willingness to pay the high price tag for them.

A little while ago, I was about to buy a Hamilton Khaki automatic until I found out that it can cost the same amount just to maintain automatic watches after 5-10 years. No thanks. I don't buy into the, "Automatic watches have a 'soul' that quartz watches don't have."

Comment

@runners, thanks for referring me to that watchuseek forum. Good stuff there!

@Acoustic, as for your question, I have, at times, found it hard to find the next watch that will have a majority of my wants. The problem is as soon as I decide on one, another one sneaks in and takes over (I blame Dappered). One thing I always look for is quality; no more of the conspicuous, gaudy, name- specific brands. If it wasn't for Dappered, I would have never even thought of brands like Orient, Raymond Weil or even the Times Weekender option.

I feel a man, depending on lifestyle and profession, should have at least 3 watches- A "weekend" watch made to take some banging as your fix the house (i.e. maybe a g-shock), a "casual" watch to be worn when hanging with the fellas or watching the game/ fight (i.e. Timex Weekender) and, finally, the classic, dressier model made for church, work or a nice date (i.e. too many to name but you get it). My 2 cents.

Comment

Heafcliffe, the same can be said about women. A "weekend" woman made to take some banging as your fix the house (i.e. maybe a g-shock), a "casual" woman to be worn when hanging with the fellas or watching the game/ fight (i.e. Housewife) and, finally, the classic, dressier model made for church, work or a nice date (i.e. too many to name but you get it). My 2 cents.

Comment

Oh dear. I am very guilty of not knowing what time piece I want, so I buy several.

To date, I have:

Timex Weekender

Citizen Skyhawk

Seiko SKX009 (dive watch)

Skagen Titanium band

Vintage Omega Seamaster from an antique shop

Parnis Speedmaster Homage

Maratac Mid Pilot Watch

Bulova 96B104

Thankfully I don't have that many women to juggle.

"We had a sick night b*tches!"

Comment

@bruschetta, good one! Ha!

Comment

Working...
              X