McTavish - natural or black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McTavish - natural or black

Hi all, I'm planning on (if I can) grabbing a pair of the McTavish's during the Nordstrom sale. I'm going to an AE store this weekend to check the fit on the #5 last, but wanted to grab an opinion on color choice (preferably from people who own one or both colors). Thoughts on which color was best for you and why? Bonus points for any pics of the shoes in action showing some good pairing with different pants...

For some reason, the McTavish is not a true reflection of how the #5 last fits. I went a half size down, and the shoes still slid off my heels. A full size down would fit too tight. I recommend going a half size down and purchasing tongue pads. Strands a half size down fit me perfectly by the way.

As for the color, everyone knew I was going to say black, and I'm sticking with it. If you want a brown rough looking shoe, get the MacNeil everyone was salivating over. The waxed black with contrasting chilli sole looks phenomenal. They're attention getting without being overstated. Good luck

Comment

Got my black ones a couple days ago (crime of opportunity), and will almost certainly be picking up the tan ones from the Nordstrom sale as well (crime of passion). The tan ones, imo, are much more versatile for my wardrobe. By this I mostly just mean that the colors I wear (lots of navy, olive, brown chinos, dark denim, etc.) tend to pair better with the tan ones than the black ones, I think. Having said that, I expect the black ones to pair reasonably well with navy (I know this is a faux pas of sorts but in the case of black shoes offset by brown soles/stitching, I actually really like the look), dark denim, deeper khaki chinos (I dig the black/beige thing and have a pair of similarly colored boots that work well with beige/ghurka chinos), and of course, light/dark gray and black pants as well.

I know that makes it seem like the black might be useful with more ensembles, but speaking from experience, I just tend to get more use out of my brown/tan shoes than I do my black ones. That might just be me, though. One of the reasons I bought the black McTavish to begin with was because I thought I might find more use for them than other normal black oxfords, so I guess time will tell which is more useful in practice!

To the above post, however, a) those are no longer available and are uncommonly seen on the used market, and b) they're two entirely different shades! The MacNeils are a deep brown/chocolate, and the McTavishes are tan to the point of just not even being brown at all (which is part of the appeal - I wouldn't get them in place of a pair of walnut AEs). Having looked at/salivated over both, they definitely fill two very different niches in terms of colors/pairing.

Comment

McTavish in black and Elgins in natural is the ideal solution!

Comment

Ugh... I've been daydreaming about the rough Elgins for the past three days...

Comment

Working...
          X