WSJ: Do Dress Shoes Have to Hurt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSJ: Do Dress Shoes Have to Hurt?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304550004577509152185022564.html

Search google with the URL above and click on the search result. Otherwise, it is locked behind a pay wall.

The article talks about various points of discomfort and what some manufacturers are doing to address them. They also talk about what you can do to loosen pressure points. They spoke to a shoe repair shop who quoted $12.95 to stretch a pair of shoes.

Also check out the graphics. One indicated that if you have a high instep, that you should consider bluchers over oxfords.

When the news anchor takes her shoe off, puts it on the table, and asks the guy a question that shows she hasn't been listening: priceless.

It makes sense that you'd have to break in a shoe if you want it to fit somewhat snug. I'm doing that now with some shoes I just got, and it's not painful, but there's one place where there is a bit of pressure.

Comment

I swear by the few hours on few hours off method. Wearing them for short stretches may prolong the break in process but it is certainly less painful. They are just uncomfortable that way not painful.

Comment

I think people take it as "cheap" but the Cole Haan's ive got with the nike air stuff built in were incredibly comfortable out of the box. No real break in needed.

My AE macneils were really uncomfortable for awhile.

Comment

I was reading somewhere that most footbeds are made of crumpled up paper and glue. It gives well at first, so it feels comfortable, but that's why it falls apart faster -- and why it stops giving the nice support it once did. Once you break in leather soles, it will be comfortable but still continue to offer nice support. I'm not saying Cole Haan is made of paper crap, but I'm wearing a pair of beater thrift store brogues for whom that is almost certainly the case.

Comment

http://sneakers.pair.com/airtech.htm

Its gas encapsulated in polyurethane. The interesting thing is because the oxygen/hydrogen is low inside the capsule, those gases will actually migrate into the capsule over time and make it even more inflated and cushy.

Comment

Allen Edmonds Strands and Kenilworths in the video!

Comment

Working...
              X