Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Loafer Advice / Thoughts

Hey Gang,

With a new job just recently secured I'm augmenting a few areas of my wardrobe and looking for a new loafer option to be worn primarily with jeans and occasionally with chinos.

I'm looking specifically at higher vamp, modern penny loafers in brown and have narrowed it down to a few and was looking for feedback on value, quality, etc.

I'm trying to decide between the following:

Cole Haan Air Camden - On sale at $139 - http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?catId=100&productId=528672&productGrou p=528671

Mercanti Fiorentini - At DSW for $139.95 - http://www.dsw.com/shoe/mercanti+fiorentini+men%27s+penny+loafer?prodId=23 0801&brand=300235&isBrand=y&categoryName=Men%27s%2 0Shoes

Johnston Murphy McPherson - On sale at $109 - http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=624&sc=1215&fv=1&pid=83486

Any thoughts? Other suggestions? $140 is definitely probably the top end of my budget.

Thanks!

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

I'm really not a fan of the stitching on the rear sides of the Cole Haan Air Camden... But then I saw their suede version and wanted it but they don't have it in my size!

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

I think that the J&Ms look the best, personally. I agree with runners that the stitching on the Cole Haans make it pretty busy, although I'm not sure that part of the shoe will get much airtime if you're wearing with pants (assuming they're that long, vs shorter cut).

Comment

Thanks for the feedback gents.

Perhaps I should have been a little bit more specific. I am happy with the look of all three, so that's not really my question, it was more focused on quality, bang for the buck, etc. Though perhaps at this lower price range I'll be fine with any of them and it's not a huge issue?

Comment

<blockquote>

Though perhaps at this lower price range I'll be fine with any of them and it's not a huge issue?</blockquote>

This. Choose the one that looks good to you then.

I'll tell you that the psychology of brand naming & retail pricing will probably cause you to think that the Cole Haan's and J&M's will be better shoes than the DSW.

As for the look, I prefer the DSW myself. The CH has a chisel toe. The J&M is a split-toe. I prefer the cleaner look of the DSW.

In speaking of the quality, kind of hard to tell without actually holding it in the hands & trying them on.

Comment

The Mercanti have the nicest toe shape, IMO. Quality will probably be roughly equal regardless of which you pick - though Joe has had lots of nice things to say about other Mercanti shoes on the main site. These are obviously not going to be on par with $1000 Italian shoes, but made in Italy is still nothing to sniff at.

Ben

Comment

Great feedback guys, appreciate the help.

Any feedback on the Aldo Mr. B Mabus? I found a mention a ways back here...good look, seems decent and on sale for only $50 right now...

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/mr-bs/shoes/85332994-mabus/97

Not generally a fan of Aldo's quality but that is only based of one pair a ways back...

Comment

Working...
                X