Can a Tailor remove the lining of a sport coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a Tailor remove the lining of a sport coat

I was wondering in a tailor can remove the lining on a sport coat. In particular I am looking to have the lining removed on my JCrew Factory Thompson chino blazer.

Certainly. The lining gets partially removed every time something gets altered just to provide access to the seams.

Comment

Pretty easily. Keep in mind that this will look bad if the seams of the jacket are left unfinished, which is often the case with blazers of the cheaper variety.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

It might depend on the blazer itself. From the little I know about tailoring, some blazers connect the shell to the lining in ways that cause the overall shape of the jacket to be dependent on those connections. For example, I had a (poor quality?) blazer where the fabric on the sleeves were folded in and hemmed to the sleeve lining to form the cuffs. When I tried to remove the lining, the cuffs unfolded, revealing the ragged edge of fabric that was originally tucked in. the only way to keep the cuff folded would have been to stitch a hem around the fold, like the cuffs of a pair of pants.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone. I am going to take it to the tailor by work and see what they can do.

Comment

Working...
          X