Dallas Area Tailor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dallas Area Tailor

Hello, I will be moving to the Dallas area soon. Does anyone have a tailor that they can recommend? I have had some issues with a lousy tailor before so I thought a recommendation on a good one could help. I will probably be moving to the uptown area. Thanks for any help!

No one has a tailor in the Dallas area to share? I find that hard to believe. Come on, help me out guys!

Comment

http://www.maloufs.com/ in southlake

Comment

Bigb did u ever find a good tailor? I live in the mid cities and am looking for a good tailor for blazers. I have a tailor for hems, tightening etc, but need a specialized men's tailor for the trickier stuff.

Comment

Guys, the best tailor in Dallas (as rated by D magazine for several years) is on Mockingbird and is called Unique Tailor. Parking is awful (hardly any spots and difficult to get in/out of the lot), and if you go on the weekends or in the evenings after work hours there is always a very long wait (read at least 10-15 minutes before you get to start trying things on). Their prices are the best I have ever seen, and they do solid work. I have had blazers slimmed and shortened, dress shirts slimmed, pants slimmed, pants/jeans hemmed, etc...

Comment

My wife goes to Unique, but I have yet to try them out. Online reviews are mixed. I suppose I'll give them a shot. I've got a suit I never wear because it doesn't fit well so I figure it's a reasonable experiment. Worst case scenario is that they destroy a suit (unfortunately a rather expensive suit) that I never wear.

Comment

There's also a tailor on Hillcrest between Lovers and Mockingbird next to Culwell & Son. I've never used them, either, but Culwell (which I trust) seemed confident in referring me there, and their location is prime so I doubt they could afford the rent if they weren't getting much business.

Comment

I've been searching a long time for a good tailor here in Dallas. I've tried Unique and I'll never go back. They're dirt cheap, but I've had to take multiple pairs of pants back to them multiple times because they couldn't get the hem right or it just came out. Harry's Tailor Shop, near Preston and Alpha, does a pretty good job. I've been pleased with most of the stuff he's done for me. The one Alan is talking about near Culwell is Park Cities Custom Tailors. She shortened a pair of pants for me and the sleeves on a suit coat two weeks ago. It was a little spendy, $19 for the pants and $35 for the coat, but she did good work and got it done in about 3 days. The only other place I've tried is in/around Preston Center, a street or two south of DSW. They changed some suit pants from pleated to flat front and tapered the legs. Did a good job, but it took about a month. It's across the street, I think, from a place called J's (another alterations place).

Comment

I went to the tailor next to Culwell & Son today since I always get my haircut at the Grooming Room. It's actually called Margaret Custom Tailor. Park Cities Custom Tailors is over near Lovers and the Tollway (I think).

Anyways, I handed off two suits to them. The prices are steep as robwellman mentioned. The prices he was quoted are in line with what I paid. However, I was really pleased with the pinning and the suits should be done next week. If she can salvage my dead-to-me Cremieux suit then she's the real deal.

I don't think I can afford to take everything there, but I expect they will still get my business for those particular items that I can't afford to get wrong. (read: expensive suits, coats, etc.)

@robwellman: I would be curious to know the name of the place you went to in Preston Center. I figure that tailors in high-rent areas HAVE to be good because they have so much more to lose. Maybe I'm right. Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't expect you'll stay in business long is you're torching $10k wedding dresses and $5k suits. Word of your failures would travel pretty fast.

Comment

I'm still on the look-out for a budget-friendly tailor to take all my thrift store blazers to. Perhaps Unique? I just really hate lines...

Comment

UPDATE: I went back to pick up my two suits today from Margaret Custom Tailor. One was ready to go. The other had to have the sides taken WAY in. When they brought it out, I still felt like it could use a bit more taking in. The owner could see the concern on my face and asked me if she could fix it for me before I ever ahd the chance to say it. So they're gonig to take it in more, and it's not going to cost me anything. It's pricey, but the service is quite good.

Comment

I use Lane Sung Tailor at the shopping center on the corner of Arapaho and Hillcrest. It’s a tiny two room shop with a faded ‘Tailor’ sign behind the Chase Bank. The owner is the only employee and she runs a cash only business. Her work is absolutely STUNNING. I have had several things altered by her and frankly… she lives up to her reputation as the best tailor in Dallas. I had a suit that had become too big after I lost 20lbs. I went to her and for $109 (plus tax) she did an incredible amount of work. She has a degree and background in fashion design and she taught me a lot about how suits are made, and how they work to flatter your figure.

The ‘break’ in my pants was too much, so she brought up the hem, the crotch didn’t help the pants hang correctly so she recut the crotch, brought in the waist 3 inches, and slimmed the whole pant profile. She then worked on the jacket. It was too big in the shoulder and in the waist so she brought in the back, sides, and vents. She also noticed that I have what most tailors call a ‘flat’ posture meaning I stand VERY straight naturally. So there was too much fabric at the back of my neck just under the collar causing a wrinkle. She said that most tailors either bring it in horizontally (making the problem worse) or they tuck it up under the collar. This she explained is the worst of them all because not only does the silhouette of the jacket change, the collar gets too bulky. You have to recut the shoulder profile to remove the extra fabric.

A week later I got it back and it was wonderful. I still have a few tweaks I would like to make but they’re just personal preferences. I’m going to have the pants recut again to be a bit more narrow through the seat and thigh and have some padding put in the shoulder to get rid of some small dimpling because of the lack of structure. I also asked her about her other work and she is nothing short of stellar. She will work with any fabric (silk, wool, corduroy, leather…) and she can also do reweaving to repair holes and damages to the garment. Also, she steams and presses the garment before pickup.

Give her a try. You won’t regret it!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X