Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat shoe maintenance?

Hey all,

I'm very new to the forums part of the site but I figured this would be the best place to get some style advice on the internet.

I recently purchased a pair of Timberland Earthkeeper boat shoes. After breaking them in, they are easily some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

Also as an avid reader of Dappered I've learned that while wearing boat shoes it's recommended to wear them without socks.

I have since then come across the problem of them having a terrible odor.

I was wondering what I can do to get rid of the smell and what my options are to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I have not had these shoes that long and would like to keep them if possible.

Also any other boat shoe maintenance tips would be appreciated.

-Anil

I have the same issue with a pair. I plan on taking them to the shoe hospital to ask what they can do. Even if it's 30$, they will at least be wearable again.

Outside of that, I have heard people scrubbing the inside with soap and water. The sole is removable on most.

Comment

Febreeze, odor eaters, cedar inserts, a good airout. These will all help with the unavoidable odor.

Also try picking up some footpowder and wearing when you go sockless. They help keep your feet dry and stops sweating.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

A simple way to help combat foot odor is to place the shoes in the freezer over night. This will help eliminate the bacteria that lives in warm and moist conditions (ie your shoes)

If you wish to prevent the odor in the first place you can alway try loafer socks. This will give you the appearance of going sockless while also preventing the buildup of moisture that helps the bacteria thrive. (http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/a...0089/10089.jsp)

Comment

I use a spray called Tineacide. Spray, leave outside overnight (it smells strong) and it eliminates odor. Repeat as necessary.

Comment

I highly recommend these:

http://moccsocks.myshopify.com/

I bought a 3 pack recently from bonobos and loved them. I'm actually about to order another 3 pack.

Comment

I typically just use foot powder on the way out the door and mine haven't gotten too bad.

Comment

A little gold bond goes a long way..

As far as Moc Socks, they show a little when you're wearing them on boat shoes. They're alright for loafers, mocs and bucs though.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Comment

Working...
                  X