Charles Tyrwhitt Shirting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles Tyrwhitt Shirting

I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with Charles Tyrwhitt buttons downs? They seem inexpensive for a British manufacturer.

I'm wondering if the quality is good and how slim their tailored and slim fits are.

I don't have experience with Charles Tyrwhitt in particular, but when I was in London I tried on a bunch of shirts at different places and was shocked by how trim/slim their fits actually are. In many cases, I couldn't even fit a 15.5/36L across my shoulders! (totally unheard of for me) So I guess I'd just warn you that the Brits and Yanks have very different philosophies on shirt tailoring....

Comment

@Ryan, Thanks for the suggestion. What's your normal (American?) collar and sleeve size?

Comment

I'm weirdly proportioned, but roughly 15.5/37, slim fit.

Comment

Albert,

I too was intrigued by the low cost of what seem to look like nice quality dress shirts with CT. I got a slim fit, and it is certainly not very slim. The quality is fine, (nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done and was pretty inexpensive) but the sides balloon out more than I expected. I can't speak to their tailored fit because I only bought the one (ordered two slim fits but the other went out of stock mysteriously after I placed my order..), but if I ever order from them again I would definitely not order anything but tailored judging by the looseness of the slim fit.

I got the 15' 32/33 size.

Comment

I like CT shirts. I've gotten a few and for 35-40 can't be beat. I find the slim fit are pretty trim on me - 17/35 is my size, tailored fit is VERY slim. I just ordered 2 more, they all come with brass collar stays, and the selection and ability to get french cuff is nice. All in all big fan, haven't had any problems and seem to be holding up well.

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. Just so you all know I'm 6'2" about 180lbs. Slim would be a good word to describe me. As a reference I buy Brooks Brothers extra slim fits and then have to have them darted. Polo RL custom button downs I have to have tailored at the seams to bring them in.

How are the armholes on the slim shirts? Are the pretty high or do they droop down? I guess I'll probably go with the tailored fit, but those are just the slims darted, or so it seems.

Comment

I find them high enough that they do not pull on the shirt too much when I move. For reference, I'm 5'11, 205, 46 in chest, 38 in waist. I'm not sure I'd pay full price for anything here, but at that price point I haven't found much that fits as well off the rack shirtwise as these do.

Comment

Personally I love CT shirts. I have more than a few shirts from them and the value that you get is hard to find anywhere else. My measurement is a bit odd at 15.5/35 and CT offers the size. I'm pretty skinny at 5'10 150, and I enjoy the slim fit shirts. What I like is that I can get pretty decently fitted shirts for around $40 (on sale) and they are great quality (wash and dry with no wrinkles SUPER easy). I'm a college student and I have casual shirts and work shirts for CT.

Comment

@Matt, I'm 6'2" and wear the same size shirts you do in other brands. Are CT shirts mad big on you or do they fit you correctly?

Comment

I havem't tried out their tailored fit as they are more expensive even on sale, but the slim fits are great in my humble opinion. CT was the first place that I found shirts that accurately fit my arm length and neck size and both the single button and french cuff styles are great. The length is good for both tucked and untucked. As for the slimness, I'd have to say that it is exactly what I expected. It is not billowy or wide in the torso(traditional fit), but not the complete modern trim (tailored fit). In any case, they got a great guarantee/return policy so I'd just try a few out for like a month and return the ones you don't like

Comment

I'm happy to hear these are short enough to work untucked. I have been looking for some patterned shirts that can go untucked with an open collar or tucked in with a tie. Does anyone know of a good place to find shirts like this?

Comment

I just got two of their shirts in yesterday. I love the slim fit... For once I don't have to get them tailored! I got these 2:

http://www.ctshirts.com/Sale/men's-shirts/Baldwin-lilac-stripe-non--iron-cutaway-slim-fit-shirt?q=usddefault||FA012LLC|||||||||||||&ppp=139

http://www.ctshirts.com/Sale/men's-shirts/Lansbury-lilac-and-dark-blue-Gingham-slim-fit-dress-shirt?q=usddefault||FC078BPR|||||||||||||&page=4

and I'm wearing the 2nd one today. I love the quality of the fabric and the colors.

Comment

@Jason, Those colors and patterns are sweet. Do you mind if I ask your measurements and how slim the shirts are on you?

Comment

I usually go with a 15 - 15.5 neck and 34 sleeve. I'm 5'11", 195, with a 40" in the chest and around 34" at the waist. For these I went with the 16 / 34 because I had ordered a 15/34 from there and returned it... I estimated I needed a full extra inch in the neck. The neck with the 16 could be slightly smaller, but I think 15.5 would have been a bit tight. The slim fit shirts aren't quite as tailored as I get them done but there's no baggy material and the arm holes are nice and high... no baggy sleeves either.

Their return is super easy though, so I'd say try it out. All I had to do was slap the label back on the box and drop it off at the post office.

Comment

Working...
                              X