Building a wardrobe for medical school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a wardrobe for medical school

I start medical school in the Fall, and as required by the school, class attending attire must be business casual. That being said, I need to add some essentials to my closet to fill in the holes and have a variety that can express my style, without breaking the bank of course. Does anyone have suggestions as to wear I can buy affordable chinos, oxfords, and most importantly shoes? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

First off....CONGRATS!

I would definitely recommend getting your white coat tailored. You can also find chinos and oxford on the cheap with good quality from Lands End Canvas during their sales. You'll be looking at around 20-30 bucks a pair (sometimes even less) for chinos and shirts.

As for Shoes, I'm very partial to Allen Edmonds and there will be a sale at Nordstroms anniversary in July which should offer a few good choices.

I also think the Littman Cardiology III in navy looks very awesome!

Comment

Congrats! I'm in the same boat. I didn't interview at any schools with a required attire though, that's kind of surprising! I would say to grab a pair of rubber-soled shoes because leather soles are going to be a bit slippery and on those rainy days when a hospital's floors are a bit slick, you want something with a bit more grip.

Be aware that if you're getting oxfords from LEC they're going to be a bit long in the body (which seems okay since you'll be tucking in). If at all possible hold out for one of LEC's big yearly sales where the shirts drop to sub $20. I think that's the sweet spot for these shirts. For $20-30 go to Nordstrom Rack and shop on Neiman Marcus Last Call. I've gotten excellent fitting dress shirts there for $30 and on Last Call.com this week their dress shirts were around $25 after discount. You can't find shirts this good for such a price normally.

I think that one of the biggest things will be getting well-fitting pants. A lot of your classmates will be wearing pretty billowy stuff. Try on a pair of Alpha Khakis at Marshalls (they're very cheap there). Chinos can be had really cheap at LEC too. For dress pants I'm personally not going to try and spend *too* much because I will be in a hospital, but I'd say wool > poly even though you might feel like the poly is better for the environment. You can get nice wool pants from Lands End.

Finally - Banana Republic's having a big sale this week. Check out a local store/look online and you'll find some nice chinos for around $30-35

Also yes on the Littman Cardio III, I've heard it's a worthwhile investment.

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys! I was hoping you (LosRockets) would reply because I remember you were roughly in the same situation I was. I'll definitely take the tips and be able to score some quality goods. I don't want to get lost in all the ill-fitting shirts and billowy pants. I think a smart fit, with some subtle patterns will do me just right. Thanks again fellas.

Comment

Vis-a-vis the Littman Card III, may be best to wait a touch on that, I hear they're coming out with a new digital stethoscope that is being reviewed very well. /nerd

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X