How the hell do I wear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How the hell do I wear...

I got this idea after seeing the monkstrap thread (and after my last impulsive purchase). How about a thread where people can ask how they could wear a certain article of clothing?

Got new walnut Allen Edmonds but not sure how to pair them? Bought a colored cotton tie but don't know how to match it? Not sure how you should wear those go-to-hell pants without making everybody's eyes bleed? This is the place for you!

I'll start with my question. I lately bought a very red cotton cable knit crew neck sweater. I wanted it in navy or white, but the only one left in my size was in red. I wasn't sure, but it was 20 bucks and did fit quite well. However, I don't know how to wear it without looking too...Christmas-y. Ideas?

Personally, I love the combo of red and navy. You could pair it with navy chinos, sportcoat or even a suit (though it would probably have to be flannel or something non-shiny).

Comment

can you layer it over a button-up? i'd try layering it with a navy chambray or blue oxford shirt. finish off with a pair of chinos, maybe chestnut in color, and either suede bucks if the ensemble is light enough or brown/tan oxfords/desert boots.

Comment

I don't wear much bright red, but I do wear a lot of burgundy. Burgundy is a more versatile color, imo, but for actual red I'd say white, navy, black, and maybe medium or light gray? Not sure on the last one, but I think the first three are all pretty safe.

Comment

How do I wear these? Jeans seem to work, but what about chinos (too hot for denim)?

Comment

Khaki, navy, gray chinos should all work great. Jeans also when it cools off.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@trash -- definitely shorts, preferably bermuda in a skater plaid pattern

Do you have them in the brown suede shown? I have the beeswax ones (which are now darker in color due to use / scuffs / bar spills), and they go with just about anything. The suede shown above is a warmer color, but I think still can go with nearly everything other than like color browns.

Comment

@trash I wear my dark brown suede chukkas with mid khaki, gray and navy chinos

Comment

@hornsup84 and @BJ, they're burgundy suede, they're a bit more vibrant than the picture let's on. Not too loud but definitely not a color you see everyday. I have the brown nubuck version as well but that's fairly versatile, I impulse bought the burgundy ones but have yet to wear them. I'll bust them out this weekend if it doesn't rain.

Comment

@trash Got it. I like burgundy and navy together.

Comment

I'd go with navy and khaki still, just have to watch more what colors you sport up top to make sure it goes / isn't too busy.

Comment

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/how-the-heck-do-i-wear

I thought it was a good idea, too. Didn't take off though.

Comment

Okay, I've got a good one. Leather jackets - like, a medium brown one. I saw one at Gap a few weeks back, and I've decided that I think I might want one, but have no idea how to fit one in with my normal wardrobe. I tend to wear, at the most casual, oxfords and sometimes polos, and generally, stick to dress shirts/ties under sweaters or sport coats. How does one take the business casual look and fit a badass looking leather jacket into it without looking awkward?

Comment

@Big_Scooter Great minds think alike!

@pitseleh I see leather jackets as a very casual item. To me, it looks at home with a t-shirt and jeans. I could probably wear a dress shirt with it, but I would stay clear of ties. You're wearing a leather jacket, you're too cool for ties.

Comment

See, what I'm taking from that is... don't buy a leather jacket. Fair enough! Honestly, I very, very rarely go more casual than a polo. Maybe in another life...

Comment

Working...
                              X