How do you guys wear monkstraps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you guys wear monkstraps?

I have had both single and double monks in my shoe collection for a few months now, and have yet to wear them. I admit they intimidate me a bit - I rarely see anybody wearing them, and they've got this weird formal vs casual thing going on. My typical work uniform is jeans or chinos and a polo or button-down, would you wear single or double monks with this combination? Or sportcoats and up?

Wore Double monks today in the WIWT thread. Just chinos, patterned socks and a OCBD with sportcoat usually works for me.

Comment

I've found that the general populace regards double monks as extremely formal, when in fact they are just the opposite. I've most often worn them sockless with pegged chinos/cuffed jeans and a buttonup and a sportcoat. I feel a tie is a bit too formal, although I did throw on a madras cotton once to great effect.

Wear them effortlessly, as they require a certain confidence due to all the comments you'll most likely receive.

Comment

I will wear them with anything from chinos and a polo to a blazer and tie with chinos of some sort. Always sockless so far. Zach is right that they attract attention. I've had multiple strangers talk to me about my double monks. In fact, every time I've worn them I've gotten compliments. People definitely notice which is good and bad.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Damn. I always thought they were meant to be formal! I've only worn my double monks with a suit.

I guess that's why I continue to read these forums.. learn something new everyday

Comment

The rule is: the less adorned a shoe is, the more formal it is. The buckles are considered adornment, so the less buckles the more formal. Ergo: double monk is less formal than the single monk, which is in turn less formal than a simple closed laced oxford.

Comment

So if I had, for example, tasseled cap-toe wingtip double monk brogues with side-zippers I could really only wear them to the beach?

I think I'm going to set a goal for myself to wear either the singles or the doubles this weekend and see how it goes, I just need to find a good place to do it (i.e. something more than grocery shopping).

Comment

Trash I think you should make a mockup of that shoe.

Comment

Here's one opinion on it: http://dieworkwear.com/post/4086119731/the-double-monks-series-part-v-conclusion

Start where he says "Lastly, a word about how to wear these."

Comment

If you can find tasseled cap-toe wingtip double monk brogues with side-zippers, I think you should have the right to wear them with a bloody tuxedo if you want, lol.

Comment

Like a boss.

Comment

I wasted money on a pair of Magnanni double monks back when the selection for affordable options was slimmer. They were on LastCall for around $200, I think. They're a really nice, shiny medium shade of brown... Problem is the toe is SUPER POINTY so I never wear them. They feel like clown shoes and the pointedness pretty much limits me to wearing them exclusively with a Gucci suit while at mobster night clubs, and quite frankly I can't afford the whores you need to keep on your arms as eye candy to distract from how ridiculous they look. I wore them to a couple things before Christmas and all I heard was how pointy they were.

Not to give up, I've since picked up two double monks in dark brown suede and light gray suede from Yoox and I love them. They have a nice, rounded toe and the suede firmly roots them in casual territory. I wear them at the low end with jeans and a tucked in button up and at the high end a sport coat, knit tie and chinos. Sometimes I even leave the top buckle undone for that sprezzatura look. I get nothing but compliments on them... its not unusual for strangers to stop and ask me where I got them.

Barneys Co-Op has a really nice DM for $200 that is tan suede with a red brick rubber sole. If I decide to make my duo a trilogy, that will be my next (and probably last) pair.

Comment

@VespaMatt, was it these?

http://www.lastcall.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod4600000

Hard to tell from the side photo but I guess I can see a bit of a chisel toe. I wanted to buy them when they were featured on Dappered a while back, maybe it's a good thing they sold out.

Comment

@Vespa - I actually love the angular shape of Magnanni's sleeker lasts like those monks. Would you consider selling them if we're of similar size?

Comment

Working...
                            X