Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocking the sockless look... am i doing it right?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rocking the sockless look... am i doing it right?

    so right after loud socks the fashion took a turn to no socks...
    Well, I tried it... and can't say i am a fan.
    first of all, going totally sockless is wrong since you going to damage both your shoes and your feet... unless you are a model who just here to pose. If you work and walk in city it simply won't work
    tries no show socks... well, most of them still show and often ride off the foot as you walk

    i was told there are some no show socks with extra rubber to prevent them from riding off, but i had no luck.

    Just wanted to see what community is doing. Any tips?

  • #2
    Originally posted by dc_slicker View Post
    so right after loud socks the fashion took a turn to no socks...
    Well, I tried it... and can't say i am a fan.
    first of all, going totally sockless is wrong since you going to damage both your shoes and your feet... unless you are a model who just here to pose. If you work and walk in city it simply won't work
    tries no show socks... well, most of them still show and often ride off the foot as you walk

    i was told there are some no show socks with extra rubber to prevent them from riding off, but i had no luck.

    Just wanted to see what community is doing. Any tips?
    for loafers and casual shoes, no show socks are a must. I have bombas and they are expensive but excellent. Worth it for sure. With that said, i have their no show and the low cut no show. The no cut no shows are cut a little lower than i would honestly prefer but they get the job done - no visible sock in a penny loafer or anything cut even lower.

    If we are talking about no socks with oxfords or dress shoes, i just cant get on board

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by neminat View Post

      If we are talking about no socks with oxfords or dress shoes, i just cant get on board
      lol.. same. yet i keep seeing that fashion... nice suit... nice shoes... no socks. just wrong.

      Comment


      • #4
        No show socks are definitely a must. The real challenge is finding ones that work for you. There are some threads on here talking about what no shoe socks work well and which ones don't. Give the search function a shot.

        I've had good success with the no show socks from BR and JC, but they do not have the extra rubber bit you're talking about.

        Comment


        • #5
          My favorite no-show socks are probably Bombas but they might show on some extremely low-cut shoes. I only have one pair that they'll show on and it's not by much. My next favorite would be Smart Wool. They're thinner and cut a bit lower but if you're doing a tremendous amount of walking, you might have to adjust them once or twice throughout the day.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am wearing loafer without socks right now. It makes sense in the heat down here in Houston.

            My favorite no shows are Falke. A little expensive compared to some cheap options, but the rubber on the back does a great job keeping them up. There is a trick to no shows....you have to avoid pulling them too far up on your toes on top. It’s a weird feeling the first few times you wear them, but you will get used to it. I have a theory that as you walk, your toes anchor in the socks on the front, and if there is no slack to accommodate the motion of your foot flexing, it pulls the socks off of the back.

            Comment


            • #7
              +1 for Falke. Good for short vamp loafers that many other brands' products would not be able to hide under.

              Comment


              • #8
                Uniqlo has no show w/rubber that are very decent, and usually around 3 for $10/12.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mhip View Post
                  Uniqlo has no show w/rubber that are very decent, and usually around 3 for $10/12.
                  Second that. Those are cheap and don't slip down. However, the ones I own are fairly thick.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think your instincts are right, I suspect the sockless look is a passing trend much like the colorful socks trend. However, like others here, I would suggest trying no show socks before immediately dismissing the look. Like Loafer28 mentioned, they can have value in exceptionally hot climates. However, going sockless / no show in anything other than loafers is a major no-go.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There are only a couple pairs of shoes I have that I will wear sockless. Boat shoes and espadrilles. (And sandals I guess.)

                      With sneakers, I wear low cut socks. I don’t really wear any other shoes with shorts so most other styles I will just wear with normal socks. Honestly a pair of light wool socks is a lot more comfortable in the heat than letting your bare feet soak in sweaty leather for hours at a time.
                      Ben

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        There are only a couple pairs of shoes I have that I will wear sockless. Boat shoes and espadrilles. (And sandals I guess.)

                        With sneakers, I wear low cut socks. I don’t really wear any other shoes with shorts so most other styles I will just wear with normal socks. Honestly a pair of light wool socks is a lot more comfortable in the heat than letting your bare feet soak in sweaty leather for hours at a time.
                        I respectfully disagree, depending on your climate. I have resided in Georgia, Florida, and Texas over the past 27 years, and can feel confident in speaking to what is comfortable in the heat (EXTREME heat).

                        The first rule is to wear as little clothing as possible. The second rule is to wear fabrics that breath. The third rule is to make those fabrics as lightweight as possible.

                        I have tried the Smartwool no show socks and they are great for 70-80 degree weather, when it gets above 80, they wick the moisture right into your shoes and you walk around in wet shoes all day. My personal preference is a cotton/poly blend around 80/20ish. There is some wicking and some absorption. But even an ultra thin, all cotton sock is more comfortable than any wool no shows that I can find. I wore some today with summer chinos and AE Randolph loafers today. 87 degrees, 60 percent humidity.

                        Sid Masshburn rocks the sockless look quite often. While I don’t agree with all of his salespeople that wear suits without socks, on the business casual spectrum, I think it can work. I agree with neminat and only go sockless with loafers.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X