Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spier and Mackay - Newer unfused collars impossible to iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never understood the appeal of the unfused collars of the purple line. From what I've been told, the frumpiness adds to the look. If so, shouldn't the unfused collars be targeted more towards something like an OCBD rather than a twill white dress shirt with spread collar?

Comment

Those BB USA original polo dress shirts for 60 dollars are sweet indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shife View Post
        The collar fabric "bubbles" for lack of a better term and is difficult to iron without creasing the thin layers. I'll just have to get better at ironing them. In the case of the lightweight oxfords, the fabric is thin yet coarse and ends up with the same problem at the collar.
        Maybe a more precise iron would help? I've got a version of this iron, with very precise digital temperature control
        https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1280_.jpg

Just kidding. About using it for clothes. I do have that iron though. Awesome. Not for clothes though.

Comment

I can't comment on these Spier and Mackay unfused collars, but from my experience buying Kamakura Shirts dress shirts with unfused collars, I do know how much more effort they require to iron vs fused collars. They require more time and attention, especially my white, lightweight twill, spread collar shirt. I certainly can't just whip my iron over them and expect no folds. Maybe all S&M needs to do is call this out clearly on their site so buyers aren't caught offguard.

Comment

I have one of these as well that I bought a couple years ago. It's from their purple line with the Thomas Mason cotton. It would technically be one of my nicest shirts, but I almost never wear it as it's almost impossible to iron and the collar never looks good. Caveat emptor, I suppose. I didn't know the difference between fused and unfused when I bought it, nor the ironing implications. I feel your pain though.

Comment

SM has been helpful in getting me on track. I took another stab at ironing last night and now that I have a better understanding of the issue, I've been able to get a better result. I think with practice I can get to where I need to be to properly iron this collar. It is more difficult for sure, but the process appeals to me as someone who likes technical details. These shirts definitely aren't for everyone and I will still likely opt for easier to iron options.

Comment

SM has been helpful in getting me on track. I took another stab at ironing last night and now that I have a better understanding of the issue, I've been able to get a better result. I think with practice I can get to where I need to be to properly iron this collar. It is more difficult for sure, but the process appeals to me as someone who likes technical details. These shirts definitely aren't for everyone and I will still likely opt for easier to iron options.
                Glad to hear you have been able to sort out the issue and SM was helpful. That's what you want hear.

Comment

Yes, the unfused collar is a nightmare to iron. Their response was along the lines of "They are made for shirt enthusiasts and for those who want old school techniques. They require more skill and care than regular shirts." I can appreciate that, and in the case of the dress shirt, I should have paid closer attention to the description, because I prefer more structured collars. Given their lack of selection in common sizes, I jumped on a one of the few white semi-spread dress shirts they had in my size. I don't like the "non iron" fabrics, but I see their appeal.
                  thats kind of a pretentious response from sm

Comment

Originally posted by TheManJournals View Post

Agree. I depend solely on S&M for my shirts, trousers and sportcoats. However, such responses are not acceptable.
                    Everyone should buy what they like, and it makes zero difference in my life what you do. That said, I think you guys are being a little sensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post

Everyone should buy what they like, and it makes zero difference in my life what you do. That said, I think you guys are being a little sensitive.
                      OK sir....

Comment

Working...
                      X